Worried About Losing my Notes

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

I have a lot of stuff in Evernote that is EXTREMELY important to me and I want to make sure I never lose it. Is there anything I can do to make sure that doesn't happen?

What are the chances Evernote disappears one day and I'm screwed??

Can anyone provide any advice or knowledge that makes me feel a little bit better? Does Evernote have any guarantees or back ups in store or a way to access my stuff outside of Evernote or something?

Thank you!

• Level 5
  • Solution

I'll see what I can offer. Evernote has been around for most of this century, so that's a start. I wouldn't consider anything in technology permanent (i.e., definitely here 100 years from now, because who knows?). But the likelihood of Evernote just *poof* disappearing seems near zero. The ownership are well aware that users have important information stored with them, and they like staying in business and making money, so they have no incentive to just drop the whole thing. As for back ups, a number of people in the forums do have plans in place for local backups of their own; you can search the forums and find these discussions. Evernote itself is housed on Google's servers AFAIK (not as a subsidiary of Google, but renting the server space). What they have in the way of redundancy I don't know, but I'm sure there must be some. As for accessing stuff outside of Evernote ... well, no side-access to the Evernote servers (that would be a security threat), but it is possible to export notes to HTML and PDF formats, with some limitations. Some of that gets discussed in the "back ups" thread. Hope this is some help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

...What @Dave-in-Decatur said:  plus there are several random server backups each day to provide you with Note History - the ability to step any note back through all its versions to the day it was created (provided the content was synced with the server in the first place,  and hasn't been moved from one notebook to another since.)

• Like 2

I accidentally deleted a note, I have the free version. It was super important. It was not trashed, just entirely deleted. Is there an archive for free users (or if I upgrade) so that I can get my note back?

16 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'll see what I can offer. Evernote has been around for most of this century, so that's a start. I wouldn't consider anything in technology permanent (i.e., definitely here 100 years from now, because who knows?). But the likelihood of Evernote just *poof* disappearing seems near zero. The ownership are well aware that users have important information stored with them, and they like staying in business and making money, so they have no incentive to just drop the whole thing. As for back ups, a number of people in the forums do have plans in place for local backups of their own; you can search the forums and find these discussions. Evernote itself is housed on Google's servers AFAIK (not as a subsidiary of Google, but renting the server space). What they have in the way of redundancy I don't know, but I'm sure there must be some. As for accessing stuff outside of Evernote ... well, no side-access to the Evernote servers (that would be a security threat), but it is possible to export notes to HTML and PDF formats, with some limitations. Some of that gets discussed in the "back ups" thread. Hope this is some help.

Thank you so much! Very helpful and definitely makes me feel a lot better 🤣🙌💖

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Jade33 said:

I accidentally deleted a note,

If the note is deleted,  it is not available from the 'history' backups.  They can only show previous versions.  I don't think it's possible though to delete a note without it staying in Trash for a while.   What device and OS are you using?

Edit - and please don't post twice on the same issue...