Does new version offer desktop app?

I am using an old version (7.2) I think, and getting a message that I must upgrade. However, when I last upgraded I lost the use of my desktop app, which is primarily how I use EN. I do most of my work without a wireless connection and want to be able to access my notes without an internet connection. Is a desktop app available with the new version? It didn't seem to be last time (perhaps I missed something?) so I downgraded to get the desktop functionality back. Thanks for any insight.

Thanks for your response. I am on a Mac. My questions isn't how to download the new version (I did that already on my new Mac) and it seemed that the new version only offered a web-based app. I want a version that allows me to have a desktop version of EN that I can use when I do not have an internet connection. Does the newer version offer the desk top option and I just missed it?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, mjonesromansic said:

Thanks for your response. I am on a Mac. My questions isn't how to download the new version (I did that already on my new Mac) and it seemed that the new version only offered a web-based app. I want a version that allows me to have a desktop version of EN that I can use when I do not have an internet connection. Does the newer version offer the desk top option and I just missed it?

https://evernote.com/download

I'm not sure what you downloaded, but you can download either a Windows or Mac desktop version from this link.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, mjonesromansic said:

Again, thanks. But I am not asking where I can download the new version. I am asking: does the new version allow you to have a DESKTOP app as opposed to just a web-based app. 

That is the desktop app, but it is Chromium based which is web-like, maybe that is what is causing the confusion.  

• Level 5

The desktop version will build a local database on your drive, unless you decide to opt out of it.

To use it offline (which I frequently do when on a train) you only need to stay logged in when you are last online. You can quit the app, you can shut down the Mac - just stay logged into the account. This is necessary to be able to open the database when offline.

I am not getting a good feeling about this, The desktop app is Chromium based? and you have to stay logged in when you shut down to have it local? I do not use the web version, its very limited, and access notebooks off line very frequently where I have reference data store. 

• Level 5

The desktop app is an Electron app.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_(software_framework)

As far as I remember you needed to be logged in as well to use legacy offline. It is no problem, just don’t log out before closing the app. Your data is there, the login is only necessary to allow the client to access it when you start it in offline mode.

• Like 1

I was without Internet for two weeks recently and only able to access using my Mobile. I also edited several notes on the local database while I was offline.   As soon as my Internet connection was re-established all notes were updated flawlessly. 

• Like 1