moving notes between notebooks

I would like to know if there is a way to move multiple notes between notebooks in one process.  I would like to split up some of my larger notebooks but don't want to have to move the notes on at a time.  Could not find an answer searching the databases.  

10 hours ago, Theresa MP said:

I would like to know if there is a way to move multiple notes between notebooks in one process.  I would like to split up some of my larger notebooks but don't want to have to move the notes on at a time.  Could not find an answer searching the databases.  

You don't say what platform you are using but this advice is for either of the desktop versions or for the web. If you select multiple notes in a note list a blue multiselect menu appears. You can select multiple notes by ctrl clicking individual notes or shift clicking to select a range.

image.png.eab4679319b4ebbd0832cff95540dc9b.png

You can then move them all by clicking the move icon. Alternatively yo can use the keyboard shortcut (alt+shift+M on Windows) or simply drag and drop the notes into the new notebook in the sidebar.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

What @Mike P said.  Note that there's a selection limit of 100 notes at one time,  bulk moving can take a while,  and the changes have to get synced back to your server and then down to other devices connected to your account.  Do not get frustrated and move anything twice.  Your system and devices will catch up,  it may just take a while.

• Level 5

2 hints:

Some multi note operations run faster if you go offline before starting them.

You can as well export a full notebook to an ENEX file. Then import it again, which creates a duplicate, with all notes. You can then delete the unwanted part. Note that the imported notes are all new ones - no note history, and a creation date equal the date of the import. 

4 hours ago, Mike P said:

You don't say what platform you are using but this advice is for either of the desktop versions or for the web. If you select multiple notes in a note list a blue multiselect menu appears. You can select multiple notes by ctrl clicking individual notes or shift clicking to select a range.

image.png.eab4679319b4ebbd0832cff95540dc9b.png

You can then move them all by clicking the move icon. Alternatively yo can use the keyboard shortcut (alt+shift+M on Windows) or simply drag and drop the notes into the new notebook in the sidebar.

I am working on the MAC desktop version.  I can't figure out how to select multiple notes.  I have 855 notes in one notebook and I want to move 169 into a new notebook.  I have tried using a search filter, which is how I got the 169 number.  Then what?  Not very intuitive.  I have several notebooks I would like to split up now.  I am getting better at discerning how I want to split things up and use my notes.  Now I just have to get the grunt work done in the moves. thanks for trying to help.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You search the notes, creating a list. Or you open the notebook from which you want to take the notes.

You select the notes, first click one, then either hold down Shift and click on the last or by holding Command and click on each you want to move.

Once several notes are selected, a new blue menu ribbon will show at the bottom of the page. It lists your options, among them is moving notes.

If more than 100 individual notes are selected, an error message will show.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

In Windows,  you get an error - but you also get the 100 notes selected.  I have a work-around.

1. search for your list of 100+ notes.  Select 100 notes and add a unique tag - say,  "temp99"
  2. repeat your search,  but now exclude the tag - "-tag:temp99" add the tag to the remaining notes
  3. repeat 2 as necessary.
  4. now search for "temp99" and select 100 notes.  Move them and remove the tag.
  5. repeat 4 as necessary.

...sounds more complicated than it actually is, but it works...