We will not be actively maintaining the Linux client anymore

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, asolyakov said:

When it works, it's very similar to the native app. As much as I like some of the recent changes, I have to admit that I haven't been able to use Evernote several times this year because the app just wasn't working. It didn't work this morning either.

Do you think these are Evernote specific issues, or Internet issues?  If Evernote specific, submitting a trouble ticket could be helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not working on Linux anymore.

It says

"client not supported please upgrade"

What is the best alternative for Linux?
Please don't say use the web app
Even thought it was in beta, it was working so perfectly!

Any chance you can ***PLEASE*** bring it back?

16 minutes ago, xavierbaez said:

What is the best alternative for Linux?

Personally I find Windows a good alternative...

Joking aside, you can still use Evernote webbbased I believe I have read (I say it anyway), other Linux users will probably chime in to answer that. Aside from that, there are many other note taking applications, and it depends on your usecase what will fit. Joplin seems to get very close to Evernote with tagging and such.

I feel for your loss! If a tool is important for you it can feel like mourning or suffering when you loose it or part of it. 😘🙏🤗

Bringing it back will not happen for at least years, I'll bet on that. Bending Spoons is very course-steady. Once they choose some route, they firmly stick to that. And they should.

• Evernote Expert

There is no alternative desktop app for Linux. Sorry. Development of the beta for Linux was stopped as announced last year and it used the old sync so now no longer works at all.

The only options are the web browser or a VM for the Windows app.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, s2sailor said:

Not really, I think it is a sound move.  I understand there are Linux advocates out there, but what is the marketshare as compared to Windows and Mac?  Wherever you look, it is small, real small.  Plus there are numerous Linux distributions.  Which one(s) do you support and test?  I have some experience in this and it can be a nightmare.   They do not all behave the same.  In making decisions on where to place your limited development resources, this one makes sense, at least to me.

Hello. Snaps were invented. 
They probably just decided that the cost/benefit of maintaining the linux client was not worth it in their books. Plain and simple. I've been severely affected by this decision, as I spend most of my work time on my linux pc and am now stuck using the web version. I hate the web version of anything.

Might be a good idea to finally update the website. Linux is still listed as a Evernote core feature, and as "beta" indicating it's under active development.

• Like 1