Cannot access searched notes

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Context: Evernote for Mac 10.60.4 

When I try to search for notes, I can see the filtered notes in the sidebar but the content of the note is not being displayed. 
The problem is also present in the web client.
When I switch the web client to the old version, the search works as expected. 
When I turn off my internet access, search works as expected on my mac client. (note appears instantly) 

Please advise what can I do to fix this. 

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 13.57.14.png

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 13.57.49.png

Me neither, can't access none of them.
Seems like finally the apprentices took over the technical department of Evernote.
Unbelievable I am paying for these amateurs. 

😡 😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡  😡 

I have the same problem. Any note that contains more than plain text (i.e. a PDF or picture) does not display. Instead there is a little note in the bottom right corner stating "Saving". This applies to both the web and the Mac app. The summary view of the note shows some content, which indicates it is still stored somewhere, but there appears to be no way to access this. The help page for 'Missing Content' does not provide a solution for more than one note at a time - and I have more than 4,000...

• Level 5

For me it is more selective:

Mac 10.60.4: Some notes show, some don't - both holding one pdf from the same source, but saved at different times. This when online. When offline, everything shows.

iOS iPad 10.53.1: Some notes just show a spinning circle on opening, some show. Here the same notes have a problem online and offline.

Conclusion: Looks like a server side issue - no idea why the offline download on iOS has trouble as well.

Next step for everybody: Contact support.

Me too. Note headers show part of note content but note body is blank for 90% of the notes I select. Notes viewed in the last few days seem ok but everything else is blank. I turned internet connection off then back on and current note selected reappeared. Others still blank  but showed "Saving" in bottom right corner. After turning internet off and on a few more times other notes show up with short delay after selecting. Message goes from "Saving" to "All changes saved". 

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

There was a system outage about then for an hour - all fixed now.  Is anyone still having issues?  Try a restart if so...

Having a server issue affect such a basic function as searching is breaking the user experience in the worst way possible. 

Is there a way to temporarily disable synchronisation so I can at least get to my notes without having to turn off internet access on every search? 

• Level 5

Go offline, simple as that. Unless you are offline, the server enters the search process.

I use a little menu bar app called TripMode. It is designed to decide which apps get bandwidth while traveling - thus the name. But it works at home as well. If needed it can turn off access for EN, leaving all other apps online.

This as a workaround - the fix must be solid server operations by EN.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

You received an answering mail shortly after you send your ticket, with a ticket number ?

If yes, you can always log into the help pages and check the ticket status.

If you didn’t receive the automatic answer: They don’t ignore you, the ticket was never received.

If this is funny you need to decide for yourself.

Oh, I forgot that I could send an email ticket. I just did that.  

No offence @PinkElephant but installing 3rd party payed apps to turn off internet to evernote just so it can cope with whatever this issue is linked to is not simple.
It is more like that joke where a guy comes back to the tailor complaining that one sleeve is longer than the other and the tailor instructing him to walk crooked so the sleeves appear the same length. 

Also, the proper solution is not "solid server operations". The proper solution is to have a sensible local search for notes that are on my computer. The previous version could do this without problems. 

• Level 5

TripMode is made to control which apps are allowed to use up your (skosh) mobile data rate. That’s the use case. If it’s installed, it’s simple to apply because it’s build for this.

You could use the internal Firewall as well. If you want to automate it, use Apple Shortcuts or Apple Script to switch the Firewall for EN on or off.

If offline search doesn’t work, either your local database is corrupted, or it is not yet fully downloaded. So don’t complain - find out what’s up, and fix the root cause.

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

TripMode is made to control which apps are allowed to use up your (skosh) mobile data rate. That’s the use case. If it’s installed, it’s simple to apply because it’s build for this.

If it would have been an open source app, maybe this would have made sense but I'm not about to spend €25 so I can fix Evernote for which I already pay €45 each year. Not to mention that this doesn't fix the same issue on my iPhone for which I guess I would have to buy a subscription.  In other words, it might be simple for you if you already have it installed for other purposes but not a solution. 

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You could use the internal Firewall as well. If you want to automate it, use Apple Shortcuts or Apple Script to switch the Firewall for EN on or off.

Not an option since it doesn't allow outgoing connection filtering.

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If offline search doesn’t work, either your local database is corrupted, or it is not yet fully downloaded. So don’t complain - find out what’s up, and fix the root cause.

As mentioned in the original post, offline search works just fine. This is not a data integrity issue.  
The root cause is faulty code in Evernote and only Evernote can fix this. 

I thought that maybe there were some configuration flag that I could set that could disable whatever Evernote is doing contacting its servers when I search on my computer. 

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

For me no more contribution to this thread. My impression is you want to rant, not a solution.

I apologise! My bad.  
I appreciate that you spend your free time to try to help other users. It is Sunday after all. 
I'm grateful for your suggestions and I have contacted support as you suggested. 

• Like 1

Support answered. There is a new version 10.61.7 that can be downloaded from their website and it appears to have solved the problem. 

When checking for new versions from inside 10.60.4, the app reported no new version so there needs to be a manual update by redownloading the app.