Unusably slow in starting a new note using Evernote on the iPhone and iPad

There is a new bug when starting a new note in iPhone iOS (Evernote version 10.53) and iPad OS (Evernote version 10.53). I did not have this problem prior to upgrading to 10.53. It now takes an extremely long time to start a new note. Below is how long it takes to open a new note so that I can begin to editing it. I've included two trial times for each OS and screenshots of the waiting period. BTW, my Evernote database has 16,400 notes.

iPhone 13:  2 mins 21 secs;  2 mins 25 secs

iPad Pro:  2 mins 59 secs; 2 mins 21 sec

Evernote for the Mac version 10.60.4 starts a new note in 4-5 secs, so nothing quick but it is still functional and about the same speed as pre-10.60.4. Evernote Web is sometimes starts a new note quicker than when using the Mac version, but speeds are inconsistent. 

Anyone else having this problem?  Is a fix forthcoming?

Thanks.

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_2375.jpg

This is still and issue after the last update.  Evernote on my ipad is so slow that it is almost unusable. New notes are almost impossible to create and older notes are loading super slow.  Everything I have has been saved locally…. it should not take long to load.  The only work around I have found is to load Evernote in my web browser. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Note creation is slow on iOS. No problem on my Mac. On iOS if a new note shows, but can’t be used, you need to wait. Times for me were between 20 and 45 seconds (which is not acceptable, but different from „not at all“).

If a problem is on Windows, you can rebuild your database. Log out, quit, uninstall using Revo Uninstaller (!). Restart the PC, install EN from the EN website. Open it, log in.

Sometimes only a log out/log in will do.

iOS and padOS are almost not usable. Wait? That’s a great answer. I did get a reply from support, it’s a known issue and are working to solve. Almost non existent SLA for paying customers that rely on the service. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I see this issue resolved as of 10.53.2. I'd like to see Evernote focus on core reliability and interoperability. I'm not sure how useful features like "AI note cleanup" are if I can't even create notes. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still seeing this issue and I'm on Evernote 10.60.4-mac-mas-public. Issue being when I click to open a new note, I get a spinner in Evernote for 15-30s before the new note is created. This wasn't happening until the past few weeks. 

Update: FIXED.

SOLUTION - Short version: Checked that version of the Evernote app I was on was the mac app store version ("mas" in version name). Deleted the app. Deleted extra folders after uninstalled (see 🔢 below). Downloaded Evernote again but from evernote.com, not the mac app store.  Now notes open quickly again.

Longer summary: A word to those who may come across this: I completely uninstalled the Mac App Store ("mas") version of the app, deleting the folders below. I knew I was on the MAS version because it was in my version number (Evernote > About: 10.60.4-mac-mas-public). Then I downloaded the app from the Evernote website to get the non-mac-app-store version (10.61.7-mac-ddl-public), which is of course (see below) more up-to-date, and now notes open quickly again. It's also possible the massive databases (several GB) that were cached on my computer were causing the issue. Either way, it's 💎 always better to download apps from the website, not the MAS

🔢 STEPS TO COMPLETELY UNINSTALL EVERNOTE, NOT JUST DELETE .APP FILE: 

To completely uninstall the mac app store of Evernote, I had to:

1. Delete the .app file from /Applications

2. Delete the files in these folders:

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote (folder)
~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist
~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote (folder.. I had two, both several Gb)

3. Then I downloaded the app from the Evernote WEBSITE, not the app store. 

➡️ WHY THIS LIKELY WORKED / why it's better to download apps from the website, not the mac app store (TL;DR): 

Word to the wise: Companies have to make 2 versions of their app - one that's in Mac App Store (MAS), and one that usually works better, which you download outside the Mac App Store. I know this because we have a product with 15k users in the mac app store. The MAS version has more constraints on it, is harder to work around, and is usually on an older version because apple makes it take longer to release new versions of the app.

In short, the non-mac-app-store version of an app will be better. 

This is too complicated for most people and not to run afoul of Apple's MAS guidelines, companies don't advertise this. 

The clue to me was the "mas" in the app version number I was on: 10.60.4-mac-mas-public

The version I've downloaded from the website and am now using: 10.61.7-mac-ddl-public ← Note there is no "mas" here. 

• 11 months later...

On 9/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, PaleoMan said:

Update: FIXED.

SOLUTION - Short version: Checked that version of the Evernote app I was on was the mac app store version ("mas" in version name). Deleted the app. Deleted extra folders after uninstalled (see 🔢 below). Downloaded Evernote again but from evernote.com, not the mac app store.  Now notes open quickly again.

Longer summary: A word to those who may come across this: I completely uninstalled the Mac App Store ("mas") version of the app, deleting the folders below. I knew I was on the MAS version because it was in my version number (Evernote > About: 10.60.4-mac-mas-public). Then I downloaded the app from the Evernote website to get the non-mac-app-store version (10.61.7-mac-ddl-public), which is of course (see below) more up-to-date, and now notes open quickly again. It's also possible the massive databases (several GB) that were cached on my computer were causing the issue. Either way, it's 💎 always better to download apps from the website, not the MAS

🔢 STEPS TO COMPLETELY UNINSTALL EVERNOTE, NOT JUST DELETE .APP FILE: 

To completely uninstall the mac app store of Evernote, I had to:

1. Delete the .app file from /Applications

2. Delete the files in these folders:

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote (folder)
~/Library/Preferences/com.evernote.Evernote.plist
~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote (folder.. I had two, both several Gb)

3. Then I downloaded the app from the Evernote WEBSITE, not the app store. 

➡️ WHY THIS LIKELY WORKED / why it's better to download apps from the website, not the mac app store (TL;DR): 

Word to the wise: Companies have to make 2 versions of their app - one that's in Mac App Store (MAS), and one that usually works better, which you download outside the Mac App Store. I know this because we have a product with 15k users in the mac app store. The MAS version has more constraints on it, is harder to work around, and is usually on an older version because apple makes it take longer to release new versions of the app.

In short, the non-mac-app-store version of an app will be better. 

This is too complicated for most people and not to run afoul of Apple's MAS guidelines, companies don't advertise this. 

The clue to me was the "mas" in the app version number I was on: 10.60.4-mac-mas-public

The version I've downloaded from the website and am now using: 10.61.7-mac-ddl-public ← Note there is no "mas" here. 

This doesn't explain why it is so painfully slow on IOS too.

• Level 5

This answer is 11 months (and probably 30 or more releases) old.

You really expect it to hold an answer for your current problem ?

The current problem with iOS is the rollout of the RENT optimization - and the fact that the EN team again released without caring for any QA.

It ran the (announced) „database optimization“ within a minute or two on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. And since then the app is hardly usable any more. Opening notes takes multiple seconds. Offline download is a crawl.

We can only wait for a release that fixes it. 10.101.7 released yesterday did NOT fix anything about it.

You really expect it to hold an answer for your current problem ?

and if I started a new thread for this problem, someone would have scolded me for starting a new topic when there already was a topic ...

Im on version 10.103.0 and it's not too slow with Offline turned on both my kids android tablet and ipad air 3. ON the iphone 14+ it's fine without offline turned on.

by the way, I signed out of the app and deleted them, rebooted the devices then install them. login and left them on charge with offline turned on over night.

Not sure how long my 55k notes would take but did that 1.5 years ago and too a few weeks. hopefully the coming updates could speed things up..

hope this helps.

ice

Just echoing that I’m having the same problem, it’s terrible. And to the point after years of Evernote - that I considered using another app. I’ll try the offline trick.

Hope they fix it soon!

Thanks!!

• Level 5

I used the „autolockscreen off + charger + EN app active“* to try a download. The results were meager: Some handful of notes downloaded during a full night shift.

It would take weeks and put tremendous stress on my devices batteries to try a full download.

With the last iterations of the app before they launched this crappy RENT rollout a full download (all notes) took 2 night runs only.

No, the offline capability is seriously broken.

(*) if I’m not mistaken I invented this workaround shortly after v10 launched. Offline download was bad back then, but still probably 10x faster than now.

And once you had the download, it was preserved. Not any more: My existing downloads were forcibly removed by EN updates at least 3 times during the last year. 

The updates simply switched the „offline“ toggle to OFF, without asking or telling. They did it in the most stupid way: The full download was kept, taking up many GB of valuable iOS storage. But it was inaccessible and needed to be erased by uninstalling the whole app.

3 times, and no support to talk about for most of the time.

• Sad 1
On 8/31/2024 at 6:10 AM, malbers said:

Just echoing that I’m having the same problem, it’s terrible. And to the point after years of Evernote - that I considered using another app. I’ll try the offline trick.

Hope they fix it soon!

Thanks!!

Saw that now listed on the Evernote bug tracker!!! Hooray!!! Hopefully a solution soon. I've got 52k notes so I rather they fix that speed issue. I've got iPad offline and iPhone online and speed + sync are issues are the same. due to number of notes...???

let's hope the techs find and fix them