(Archived) Scrolling & Highlighting Bug

huddie71

I've just tried Evernote for the first time and am sad to say that within 30mins I've already discovered a critical bug. When using the app on Android 2.1 on my HTC Hero, notes are frequently not displayed properly. When it happens, a certain string of characters - frequently 'and' - is highlighted everywhere it occurs in the note and any attempt to scroll the note to the point that these highlights are obscured results in the app scrolling the note straight back to the area with the highlights again. I can see no indication that this is a feature. I cannot determine what actions may trigger the bug behaviour as it is seemingly random. Open and close a note 6 times and it might occur twice. It makes the app unusable.

I've tried force closing and restarting the app, clearing the cache and restarting the phone. There are no other problems with the phone. No errors are displayed. Using build 116217 version 2.5(public) Network Operator 23433 / Orange.

I've attached a couple of screenshots.

post-27519-131906069058_thumb.jpg

post-27519-13190606906_thumb.jpg

This is disappointing as I'd heard good things about Evernote. Can someone help ?

I have encountered the the same problem on my HTC Hero, but only in the last two beta releases. It seems to be triggered, when you search for notes -- not when you navigate to a specific note (via Notebooks or Tags). The word "and" seems to be the culprit here, too.

/Jesper

HTC Hero Nordic (Eclair)

I have encountered the the same problem on my HTC Hero, but only in the last two beta releases. It seems to be triggered, when you search for notes -- not when you navigate to a specific note (via Notebooks or Tags). The word "and" seems to be the culprit here, too.

/Jesper

HTC Hero Nordic (Eclair)

Thanks kjaer. Interesting to note someone else is having the same problem on the Hero, so it may be Hero specific. I've tried looking for previous versions of Evernote but can't find any. Do you have the same version as me ?

Have a HTC Desire, same problem. When view a Notebook, the "panel of notes" across the bottom, (very cool feature), then I'll move to one of those.

Then, "erg!" And is shown in a green floating rectangle, like a default search has kicked-in, not of my choosing. Besides, "will often" make it move against me - as trying to read the note & scroll around.

I am so happy to at least find that I'm not the only one with this problem (though I'm obviously not thrilled about the problem). My issue is as described in this thread's original post, but I'll add to it.

I have a Sprint Samsung Epic.

The issue occurs on the second time I enter a note. For example, I'll click on a note, read it, etc. (everything displays fine). I hit the back button to return to the list of notes in a notebook. When I click on the same note again to read it again, I suddenly have the green rectangles, sometimes bordering text, often bordering nothing.

To make it more interesting, if I rotate the phone into landscape, the rectangles remain but they're not necessarily highlighting anything. They're just there! As others have mentioned, as soon as the green boxes appear, you can't scroll without the app scrolling back to those boxes.

My wife suggested that I just try the "seemingly bugless" Springpad app on Android instead, but all of my notes are on Evernote and I love Evernote. However, this bug basically breaks the app, rendering it useless. Ugh. Is there hope for this or is this just something Epic and Hero users are going to have to accept?

THINGS I'VE TRIED:

I've opened and closed notes repeatedly and the problem almost always occurs once you open a note twice (and thereafter).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Problem remains.

I've gone into the desktop app and removed all formatting from a note (even copying plain text into a new note). I've tried the CTRL-SPACE "simplify formatting function as well. The problem never presents itself on the web app, nor on my desktop app. But when I access the plain note on my Android phone, the problem is still there.

Same problem here. I have an AT&T Samsung Captivate. Even copied and pasted my note into a new note and that worked for all of 30 seconds before the problem returned. I have Evernote to allow me to view recipes in the kitchen without taking up all the space that a laptop does. As it stands, the program seems unusable.

Archived