Grey padlock icon appearing on notes

Salindor

Idea

Hi there, I've got a random issue that reoccurs periodically on my Android Evernote app.

Usually on my notes, there's a green pen icon at the bottom right of the screen – which indicates the note is editable. Sometimes (usually after an accidental keyboard smash!), this icon turns into a grey padlock and then I cannot edit the note. I have to copy the text into a new note and abandon the old one.

Just to be clear, I have a premium account and these are not large notes outwith the maximum size – it feels more like I've inadvertently toggled on some security lock on the note, but I can't see anything on the settings menu and don't know how to untoggle it.

Does anyone have any useful ideas about how to fix this?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Welcome to the forums. What version of Android Evernote are you using? That sounds like a problem that I used to get a lot on the older (pre-version-10) app. The only solution was to copy all the content of the note and paste it into a new note (which loses the note history). I have not seen it happen in v. 10. But that currently has problems of its own.

Oh that makes sense, I just looked and my version is 8.13.3 lol

So I guess I'll try deleting and then reinstalling the latest app version on my Android and hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the pointer!

• Evernote Expert

If this is an Android app issue, you will have the version relevant to your version of Android. You need at least Android 10 on your device. Android 9 or below and you'll get V8 of the app.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

What @agsteele said. If your phone's version of Android was such that it could run v. 10 it would almost certainly already have it. But v. 10 is having lots of issues of its own just now, so I wouldn't hurry to update. You've already found the only solution (AFAIK) to the dead-note issue in Android v. 8: copy the content to a new note.