How to find specific tasks or checkboxes that are either ticked off or not?

Hi,

I try to find notes where I have specific tasks / Checkboxes that are either marked off or not.

For example I want to find all notes where the Checkbox "Sent to customer" is ticked.

So within the notes are several check boxes one of them is:

[ ] Sent to customer

I want to find all the notes where this checkbox is not checked and secondly in a separate list find all the notes where this box is checked.

How do I do that? 

Many Thanks in advance for any help

18 minutes ago, NikoEver said:

I want to find all the notes where this checkbox is not checked and secondly in a separate list find all the notes where this box is checked.

How do I do that? 

There is a filter that allows you to do that. In the filter menu look under "contains". There are three different options:

image.png.8c962233ac83a8da1b41e6b1a72c1edf.png

Alternatively there is an advanced search syntax equivalent. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

This will not allow you to find whether a specific task is checked. To do that you would need to use the tasks view to search for the specific task and then use the link to the parent notes.

I'm also confused as to whether you are talking about tasks or checkboxes - they are different. There is a filter for checkboxes as well

image.png.fbc6a3eb0a3f66d26d04afa19890645e.png

but again not for a specific checkbox. The filter works for both check boxes and check lists

An alternative approach would be to add a "sent_to_customer" tag. You could then easily find those notes which had been sent to the customer and using

-tag:sent_to_customer

those that had not been sent.

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

I am wondering why you do that. I assume your time is equally valuable is mine so by solving a problem I did not ask for you waste your own time and waste my time too by making me read it.

I asked for how to find a specific check box that is either checked or not. I don't need a filter that filters my notes for any not ticked or ticked checkboxes. That's not my issue.

I also don't need an alternative approach. I am not starting with Evernote today nor did I asked for how I can avoid that issue in the future.

I have a bunch of notes where I need to find the notes containing that single checkbox field and I need one search result with the check boxes ticked and one where the checkboxes are not ticked.

To that specific issue is either a solution available or not. Please do not answer questions I did not ask. We have only a limited time every day lets make it as impactful as possible !

All the best.

• Confused 3

I find the tone of your response unhelpful. Perhaps if you hadn't used both the terms "checkbox" and "tasks" in your origonal note, you would have wasted a lot less of my time. 

There is no way of doing what you want.

If you do not want an alternative approach I suggest you either do what you are currently doing or find an alternative app.

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, NikoEver said:

I am wondering why you do that. I assume your time is equally valuable is mine so by solving a problem I did not ask for you waste your own time and waste my time too by making me read it.

I fear you are on your own. A fellow users steps up to offer you a way of achieving something close to what you request. It is fair to assume that an exact step to your request isn't available. If your response is to be unpleasant then you can guess that fellow users will choose not to assist you in the future.

In there meantime the answer to your original question is No, it cannot be done.

• Like 5
  • 6 months later...

Thank you @Mike P! Your image just helped me find the filter icon. I have been using the advanced syntax for years as my search method but the syntax no longer seems to work. 

I so wish Evernote would remove instructions and FAQs from their website when they have become obsolete. Sigh.

• Like 1

I looked into searching and filtering on Tasks, checklists, and (old style) Todo's today and as far as I can see its a mess..  so much that I thought I could summarize here, but but there is so much inconsistency (esp, if you refer to the documentation) that I have to work more on this, and will report back in a separate post... stay tuned... 🙂