Shady looking update requests from Evernote Client - what is going on?

The requests to update my Evernote Client has gotten to an annoying and shady frequency. A few days ago I got yet another request to update my client because I'm apparently "working on an old Evernote client -- one that has not been updated in a long time." Which is simply not true. I updated my client to .10 a few weeks ago and when I check my client if there're updates it tells me I'm on the latest version. But I still get the pop-up to update my client because it's old blah blah.

It really starts to get shady with these update requests. What is going on there and how to make it stop?

• Level 5

Nothing shady: Legacy is deprecated since more than 30 months. Since May a new syncing is introduced, that does not work with legacy. Currently EN runs 2 syncs in parallel.

See the message as a hint that legacy will stop working soon. The critical issue is probably syncing with the cloud server.

That‘s what we see from the outside. If you want to learn something official, issue a support ticket.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What device / versions of Evernote & OS are you using?

Windows 10, Evernote Version 10.57.10, which is, as far as I can gather, the latest Evernote Version.

What I find shady is that the pop-up doesn't tell me what the name/number of the new client version is that I'm suppose to update to so that I can check it against the version I have. And also, I did update/instal new versions before.

According to my client it tells me I run Evernote 10.57.10, which is as far as I can gather, the newest version out there (on the Evernote website it says 10.57.5 is the latest, but I reckon they haven't gotten around to updating that yet). So why does the the client keep on bothering me to update?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, vmstephan said:

Version 10.57.10, which is, as far as I can gather, the latest Evernote Version.

Nope - 10.58.8 is available at Evernote.com if you would like to download it.  With hundreds of millions of users,  Evernote issues automatic updates in Stages.

4 minutes ago, vmstephan said:

why does the the client keep on bothering me to update?

In your case I'm not sure - could you screenshot the notice when/ if it next appears for you?  In general - it's always best to keep up with the latest features and security protections.  58.8 forinstance (for me, anyway) has eliminated some delays and spinning arrows.  You don't normally get an alert for an update unless one is available - but in most cases (I think) you should be able to ignore it for a while if you don;t want to be interrupted.

• Like 1
On 6/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, gazumped said:

In your case I'm not sure - could you screenshot the notice when/ if it next appears for you? 

I think I identified the issue. So apparently I have two app clients run in parallel. I had the "old client" (running on a 6. version) attached to my taskbar a long while ago and at one update (not sure which) that "old client" didn't itself update, but a new client (running on the updated 10. version) popped up, which I then also attached to my taskbar without realizing the "old client" was still there. Since my taskbar can get quite busy I didn't realize the "old client" is still there and when ever I click the old one instead of the "new client" it demands an update since it is still running on the 6. version.

It's all a bit odd, but I think I just going to de-install Evernote completely so that both clients are gone and re-install it properly with just one client.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• Like 1