Unable to open Evernote on Mac

My computer has OS X v 10.11.6 and this morning, Evernote says it can't open anymore with this version - it now needs 10.13 or higher.  I can't upgrade to this (my computer is telling me it's up to date).  What can I do as I invested in a premium membership but that's pointless if I can't access my notes?  Feeling very frustrated.

• Level 5

The system requirements say 10.14 Monterey as minimum version of MacOS. I think this is due to the underlying framework. It needs to update to keep up with system development. 

To run EN on an older Mac, use it on the web client.

There are unofficial ways to load a newer MacOS on older Macs. Due to the resources needed this only makes sense if the old Mac is highly specced, and runs on modern components like SSD and upgraded RAM.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, Lynn A said:

It would have been nice to have been informed BEFORE being prompted to upgrade my version. If it cannot be used on my OS, it should not install. Period.

We're mainly other users here - contact or feedback to support if there are issues.  Meantime you will be able to access most features via the web version.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 12:42 AM, Lynn A said:

It would have been nice to have been informed BEFORE being prompted to upgrade my version. If it cannot be used on my OS, it should not install. Period.

Agree! It is very annoying with this lack of information. Also running on 10.11.6. 

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You clicked the update option yourself - so the software assumes you checked. From this point, it can only fail.

If you disagree, contact support 

I disagree. I think that it is reasonable to assume that a software should "know" the version of the computer system and not force the user to upgrade, if it does not work. And the information about the issue should be in the same box as the promt to uppgrade. In this case there were no alterative to clicking the upgrade button.

8-18-2023: Could not get Evernote to open on my Mac. Deleted the Evernote app and emptied trash. Downloaded CleanMyMac to do a clean install. Evernote has been re-downloaded and re-installed. Still unable to open on my Mac. My Evernote is a huge part of my work day -- has been for a decade. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

• 1 month later...

Why can't I open Evernote on my mac?
it was literally just working yesterday.

I tried to open it today and it won't work. I keep getting the "Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote" message.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times now. My mac is on version 12.6.6 Monterey.

What's going on?