Clicking on app linked note in TOC opens in web browser now???

I use the Table of Contents function in EN a lot to help with the writing of my PhD. I have many linked notes and lately, when I click on the first linked note I want to go to it opens it in the EN webpage rather than as a note in the app. It is incredibly frustrating and never happened in the past. I am using the Windows app on my desktop and have the latest version. There are no options in the "settings" function to stop the browser version from opening. This along with super-slow note loading times has slowed my productivity down enormously. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

• Level 5

It depends on which type of link you used. If a web link is used, it will open in the web. If an app link is used, it will open in the app.

What can be a problem are links from the mobile apps: These are web links, due to the sandboxed way the device memory is handled.

• Level 5*

Hi.  No suggestions yet,  but is this Windows 10 or 11 and is the URL behind your link something like evernote:///view/120918/s2.....?

-plus how and where were these links created?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 1:47 AM, PinkElephant said:

It depends on which type of link you used. If a web link is used, it will open in the web. If an app link is used, it will open in the app.

What can be a problem are links from the mobile apps: These are web links, due to the sandboxed way the device memory is handled.

Hi There,

My problem has happened with the app link - it is opening my web browser version. The problem hasn't seemed to happen this past week so perhaps it was just a bug?

Thanks for the input.

Leanne

On 6/6/2023 at 2:40 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  No suggestions yet,  but is this Windows 10 or 11 and is the URL behind your link something like evernote:///view/120918/s2.....?

-plus how and where were these links created?

Thanks for your reply  - sorry for the delay in response. It is the latest version of windows and the latest version of Evernote. I haven't thought to look at the URL. I'll do that next time. All links are created within the desktop app. They are a new note creation with the app link added to my TOC.

Thanks,

Leanne

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LeanneF2 said:

Hi There,

My problem has happened with the app link - it is opening my web browser version. The problem hasn't seemed to happen this past week so perhaps it was just a bug?

Thanks for the input.

Leanne

My experience is that the IOS apps always will paste in the WEB URL when you use copy link.

The IOS apps properly stay inside the IOS app for both evernote:// and https:// versions of the link.

The macOS App only stays in the app for the evernote:// link and goes to the web for the https:// link.

In Safari, the code stays in the tab for the evernote:// link and wants to open a new window for the https:// link, which it disallows since it does not want the web client to be open in multiple tabs/windows on Safari.  Evidently, it might work to a new tab in Chrome (untried).

I tend to think the IOS client handles the clicking behavior correctly and the other implementations are wrong.  I believe this variation in behavior dates back to what is now known as legacy time but I can no longer easily validate this.

(This has bugged me for a while but I just quit making evernote links in IOS to resolve.  Since I have written (most) everything up here, I'll submit a ticket).

If you use the "insert note link" function within IOS, the link created will always be an internal app link.

The same is true for the web app, I guess this works also on the windows version, but I did not test it

IMG_7883.jpeg