How to rename a file INCLUDING the extension...

Hi folks-- I've a bunch of spreadsheets attached in my Evernote that had macros in. Therefore their filename was something.xlsm. I've edited each spreadsheet and removed the macros. Now I want to rename the files in evernote to something.xls - ie. to remove the 'm'. I used to be able to do this, but now can't. Does anyone know how to achieve this functionality?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Device? OS?  Evernote version?  I don't believe you can rename the file inside Evernote,  but if you open it up to remove the macro,  why not resave with the correct name and delete the original.

4 hours ago, matthewtayloruk said:

Hi folks-- I've a bunch of spreadsheets attached in my Evernote that had macros in. Therefore their filename was something.xlsm. I've edited each spreadsheet and removed the macros. Now I want to rename the files in evernote to something.xls - ie. to remove the 'm'. I used to be able to do this, but now can't. Does anyone know how to achieve this functionality?

I experience the same thing on Windows 11 latest Evernote v10 version. I cannot change filenames extensions anymore, as I could with Evernote 6.x Legacy. The only workaround I know is saving the attachment, renaming, deleting old one from the note, re-adding the renamed attachment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-- Those workarounds would work, but when dealing with hundreds of spreadsheets it's annoying. What also makes things worse is that I used to have another workaround to stop evernote automatically displaying images. I would load a jpeg file as 'picture.dat', then rename it in evernote to 'picture.jpg'. This is a way to stop evernote wanting to inilne the pictures, which I don't want. Being able to change the file extension to fool Evernote into not doing default (and not turn-off-able) behaviours is very useful.

Seemingly someone thought it'd be a good idea to remove file extensions in some recent version and to me this is a major step backwards in valuable functionality. I'm getting closer and closer to just moving to OneDrive now 😞

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, matthewtayloruk said:

when dealing with hundreds of spreadsheets it's annoying

Hi.  Two things...

On 5/10/2023 at 3:18 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Device? OS?  Evernote version?  I don't believe you can rename the file inside Evernote,  but if you open it up to remove the macro,  why not resave with the correct name and delete the original.

I'm intrigued as to your process:  how do you come to be saving hundreds of files with macros,  and how are you removing the macro content if not by opening them individually?

6 hours ago, matthewtayloruk said:

What also makes things worse is that I used to have another workaround to stop evernote automatically displaying images. I would load a jpeg file as 'picture.dat', then rename it in evernote to 'picture.jpg'. This is a way to stop evernote wanting to inilne the pictures, which I don't want

As far as this one goes, you can just use the preference setting for that -- Choose 'Title' instead of 'Preview' for how you want the default view to be for images:

image.png.ab8ceb449291d38d41842a2886f7bd2a.png

• Like 1