(Archived) 2.0 Shared Notebooks: Saved Searches

PeDaSp

Idea

When I link to a shared notebook (with full editing access), I see that if any given tag appears in one of the shared notes, then it will appear in the TAGS section under the SHARED TAB. This makes sense.

But I see that no saved searches appear. Would it not be logical (and helpful) to have the SAVED SEARCHES appear under the SHARED TAB as well? ie: All those saved searches that reference any related shared notebook?

Indeed, it seems that one can not even create your own saved searches under the SHARED TAB?

Many thanks. EN 2.0 is looking good!

14 replies to this idea

If I share my Cooking notebook with you, but not my Espionage notebook, then Evernote can identify which Tags you should see based on the notes in your notebook. So my "pasta" tag should be visible to you because it's on a few notes in the Cooking notebook, but my "tradecraft" tag should not.

It's not safe to do this with Saved Searches, however, since it's not clear which of my Saved Searches should really be visible to you. Showing you my entire list may unintentionally leak out private information that I wouldn't expect. There's no way for us to know that my Saved Search to find "korean kimchi" is safe to share, but you shouldn't see that I have a Saved Search about "korean kim jong il"

So, to protect your privacy, we don't expose your Saved Search list to your guests when you share your notebook.

• Level 5*

So I guess my "Red Herring" tag could be seen by sharers of my Cooking notebook, even though it's also in my Espionage notebook, right? :)

(just by using the word "tradecraft", you're showing that you must be a bit of a spy buff)

~Jeff

Cool. I guess that Julian Assange would be happy with that - so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me :D

But can you confirm that it's not possible to save a search for shared notebooks? Will this be available at some point?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

You should be able to search notebooks that are shared with you, and I am guessing that you can save a search that references a shared notebook (either via 'stack:' or 'notebook:'). It's just that you don't have access to the shared searches of the person who shared the notebooks with you.

~Jeff

So I guess my "Red Herring" tag could be seen by sharers of my Cooking notebook, even though it's also in my Espionage notebook, right? :D

Mmmm, yes. :-)

We figure that if you've shared a notebook containing notes with a tag on them, then it's appropriate for your guests to see those tags. I.e. the permission is "implicit".

But it's not herring here, it's Dungeness Crab time, so we're having an outing tonight to pay tribute.

You should be able to search notebooks that are shared with you, and I am guessing that you can save a search that references a shared notebook (either via 'stack:' or 'notebook:'). It's just that you don't have access to the shared searches of the person who shared the notebooks with you.

~Jeff

Yes you can search shared notebooks, but no, you can't seem to SAVE that search. And you can't search shared notebooks from the "Account" tab; you have to be under the "Shared" tab.

You cannot create a saved search that runs against someone else's shared notebook. And if you create a saved search that happens to search one of your own notebooks, other people will not see that.

• Level 5*

OK, my intuition was wrong; sorry about that. You should be able to resort to jbenson's method of saving the text of your search in a notes, then copying and pasting into the search field. Awkward, I know.

~Jeff

• Level 5*
But it's not herring here, it's Dungeness Crab time, so we're having an outing tonight to pay tribute.

An outing? Sounds like fun. The crabs hereabouts are not worth talking about that much; we do have this other shellfish that people seem to like, though.

~Jeff

Archived