how to restore from a backup?

Hi all, appreciate for any help or idea in order to restore.

- I had evernote login all the time in a computer, and I constantly update my notes.

- today I signed out and I checked 'Keep local backup'

- then after I found my evernote has been disconnetting with cloud since Jan 19th, because of some changes in a firewall.

now I want to know if possible or how to restore to latest backup or version on evernote.

thanks!!!

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's always helpful to know what device,  OS and Evernote version you're using. 

Basically the parent copy of your database is stored on Evernote's server,  and optionally a copy of that database can be kept on desktop devices.  There's no automatic backup as such.  If you view your notes in the web version by signing in to Evernote.com in a browser,  you will see all the information that Evernote has saved.  If that's different from what's stored on your device,  then you'd need to sign out of Evernote on the device,  opt NOT to keep the copy,  then restart the device and log back in to Evernote to re-download the local copy.

There are other threads here about how to keep a local backup if you need one,  but if your notes aren't being synced to the cloud in the first place,  Evernote can't recover them.

Thanks Gazumped,

- the computer is in a company network, it cannot connect Evernote cloud anymore -> without it, I cannot login evernote app.

-  the offline contents must be stored somewhere in the computer because when I signed out yesterday I checked "keep a local backup"

- therefore I want to know how I can find backup offline notes/contents in computer, how to copy it out and the best way to sync to cloud.

thanks.

You can search these discussion forums to find the location of where the data is saved. Here is the search for Windows (you didn't specify OS) that will return a fair number of results: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscussion.evernote.com+where+is+data+located+for+Evernote+on+v10

33 minutes ago, zhulin211 said:

therefore I want to know how I can find backup offline notes/contents in computer, how to copy it out and the best way to sync to cloud.

AFAIK -- it's not in a format that you can do that. The "documented" way of backing up Evernote data locally is by exporting it from the app to an ENEX file and then you import than into another client (but since you can't sign into the app on that machine anymore...) Perhaps some of the info in the google search results might have some insight.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, zhulin211 said:

how I can find backup offline notes/contents in computer

Hi again - as I said previously,  the parent copy of your database is stored on Evernote's server,  not your local computer.  You may have saved a local version,  but that is just a copy.  If you log into your account again via a browser,  or from another computer,  you should be able to see all your notes.  No need for backups - just check the original version online.

On 3/10/2023 at 12:46 AM, gazumped said:

Hi again - as I said previously,  the parent copy of your database is stored on Evernote's server,  not your local computer.  You may have saved a local version,  but that is just a copy.  If you log into your account again via a browser,  or from another computer,  you should be able to see all your notes.  No need for backups - just check the original version online.

assuming that  no unsynced notes are on the client 🤔

• Like 1