Moving from Plus to Free

I've been a subscriber since 2008, and generally a satisfied customer.  However, my main use has been almost exclusively for work until 2020. This has changed now and although I could sort of justify keeping with the Plus subscription for the historical stuff my account holds, the price increase has made me re-evaluate this.  I've now transferred almost everything to Onenote, with a few bits that don't transfer well so I want to keep a free account for the archive.

I'm on an annual payment plan due for the next payment in June.  Do I need to wait until the renewal date to cancel to keep the Plus benefits until then or can I cancel now?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Your subscription will continue your benefits until June,  but you should change your status now so that you don't forget - and while you have access to Support if anything goes sideways.  Go to Account Summary (evernote.com) in your browser and check the Billing tab to change the account level - or just make sure you remove your payment details if you are worried you'll lose access immediately.  The account will revert to Basic if the sub is not paid.

• Level 5

It is not amazing that one needs to cancel his subscription to quit the subscription.

What is sometimes surprising is that some users wait until the last day of the current subscription period before quitting. This is not necessary, and it creates the risk that the withdrawal is registered too late (ever heard of time zones), and the subscription has already renewed.

Every user can cancel a subscription ANY time. You may have prolonged yesterday, and decide to quit today. Then quit - now. EN will honor the period already paid up front, and then downgrade the account to the new level (another subscription or Free). The only disadvantage of this strategy may be some nagging with special offers. But that’s IMHO a small price to be sure what will happen, and when.