Filterize Users

As a user of Evernote, I believe that the platform remains a valuable and versatile tool, and I have no plans to switch to another platform. Despite trying other options, I have found that they lack the ease and functionality that I have come to rely on with Evernote.

Consequently, I am exploring various automation tools for Evernote and am particularly interested in hearing from those who have experience with Filterize.

In this regard, I have a few questions that I would like to pose to the community.

Firstly, is Filterize easy to use?

Secondly, is it reliable? Given recent changes to Evernote, has Filterize kept up and continued to evolve alongside the platform?

Additionally, I would like to know how others are using Filterize, and any contributions or insights would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

• Level 5*

Good questions!  I think Filterize is pretty easy to use - you need to choose trigger words,  and actions that do,  or do not happen in the presence of such words.  Filterize supplies some videos to get you going,  and there is at least one 'how to' video on youtube.  I've found their support team to be reasonably responsive (a few days) and they are helpful if you have queries about things which should have worked,  but clearly didn't.  I throw a variety of notes into my Evernote default notebook,  and rely on Filterize to assign them to the correct notebook and assign the correct tags.

This last action requires a couple of "Parametrization" rules,  which boil down to a note in Evernote containing (in my case) three columns headed Keyword | Tag(s) | Notebook.  When a note containing the "keyword" (which can be a phrase delimited by "") is synced - i.e. it has been edited or created recently - that note will be assigned the tag(s) I have already specified,  and will be moved to the notebook specified in that table.

The cell containing the keyword is limited to one keyword or phrase;  the cell containing the tag(s) can contain as many as necessary;  and the cell containing the notebook name must contain an existing notebook.

My main Para notes each have around 30 lines of cells and adding a new keyword is as easy as adding a line to that note.

I do have one rule as a safety measure - that if a note has one specific tag it is excluded from any processing.  It means I'd already assigned tags and notebooks and I don't want that changed,  thank you very much!

I recently tried a rule - "if this note has the tag TEMP1 and the note is shared,  turn off the share and remove the tag".  (I had a lot of old shared notes I want to reset quickly).

Sadly "a lot" meant that Evernote decided my account made too many requests with 24 hours and got me on a timeout - which meant that the notes got re-submitted when the timeout ended... causing another timeout...  I think I broke the system.  Filterize suggested I should really limit the rule to a few hundred notes at a time,  so that situation is still under review.

Filterize do have a very helpful multiple choice system for creating filters,  as well as an "AI" EvA to suggest correct constructs - which has been around for 5 years or so.

Filters can extract text or dates from notes,  and I use it to maintain a series of active 'dashboards' where the filters are "tasks due today and earlier" / "tasks due in the next 7 days" / "tasks due from day 8 (from now) to day 30".  These dashboards are tables of content which are maintained transparently as I edit and add notes containing tasks.

Overall I'd say that as long as you're able to frame a plain language rule for your filter - "In the event of this,  do that,  but not if..." then you should be able to create a correctly formatted filter.  Just don't try to work on too many notes at the same time!

All of which is a major promotion for Filterize,  but full disclosure - I'm paying them;  I'm not connected with or receiving benefit from the firm other than as a happy customer. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Just for a laugh I also asked chatGPT what it thought...

Yes, you can create rules in Filterize. Filterize is a tool that automates tasks in Evernote based on user-defined rules. These rules are called "filters" and they allow you to specify certain criteria that must be met for an action to be taken on a note.

To create a filter in Filterize, you can follow these steps:

1. Login to your Filterize account.
  2. Click on "Filters" from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
  3. Click on the "New Filter" button.
  4. Name your filter and specify the criteria that must be met for the filter to be applied.
  5. Choose the action that you want Filterize to take when the filter is applied. For example, you can move a note to a specific notebook, tag it with a specific tag, or send an email notification.
  6. Save your filter.

Once your filter is saved, Filterize will automatically apply it to any notes that meet the criteria you specified. This can help you stay organized and save time by automating tasks in Evernote.

Not sure that adds a lot to the field of human (and non-human) knowledge,  but it seems straightforward.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that- Im thinking major use is if i forward emails to EN inbox FI will tag and then move if required to relevant notebook. Need to watch some videos😕

• Like 1

Beside all features @gazumped mentioned in his post, I mainly use filterize to create TOC pages with its special functionality to achieve this. Sometimes Filterizes seems to be blocked for any reason (too much traffic or limitations on EN site (API activity) - but if you do not need all answers immediately, this is OK.

In addition I use Make (see https://www.make.com) to do some automation (mainly to collect information from other sources like Twitter - but also to create TOCs (was an experiment). Make is much more powerful because it covers hundreds of other services (not only EN 😉) in one tool.

• Like 3