Add option to increase total number of notes allowed to be more than 100,000 total notes

mattjm04

Idea

Currently an Evernote account is limited to 100,000 total notes. This is true regardless of if you use the Personal or Professional plan. I have been an Evernote user since 11/2008 and I just hit the 100,000 note limit. I was told in a support chat with Evernote that there was not option available for me to add more notes to my existing account without deleting notes. So I recognize that I have A LOT of notes, but I use Evernote for SO many things! I really like Evernote, and I would be willing to pay for a service to allow me to add more than 100,000 notes. Until then I will delete some notes, and I'll probably start looking at possible replacements for Evernote sadly. So please consider this feature addition Evernote. I would be extremely grateful.

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  There is a specific feature request section of the forum where other users can vote in support of your suggestion,  the implication being that - very much subject to budget and Evernote's other priorities - they'll deal with requests in order of support levels.  However I've also been using Evernote since the 2008's and I only got to 59k notes so far.  I think the number of users worried by this limit is probably into low double digits...  I can move your post there if you agree - I'll gladly support it,  even though it appears I have a couple of years' leeway.

There's no 'pay more to get more' scheme that I'm aware of,  other than (obvs) you could use another account - with another email address - to archive some of your notes,  or you could start completely afresh and just refer back to the current account as the archive.  (Minor items like login email details can be swopped around if necessary).

Or you might consider a Teams account where limits are higher - and per user - although that also involves a lot of extra admin that I would really not recommend.

Notes can be combined rather easily - not recommended for active documents,  but those relating to an older project or a specific old contact could be useful condensed into a single long document or even exported to ENEX to be filed elsewhere.  If you ever need to consult the information it can easily be reinstated - if your then total of notes allows.

I'm not sure how the note limit deals with local (unsynced) notebooks - this is not supported by v10 but Legacy used to (and still does) offer that option.  You might like to install legacy on a desktop and allow Evernote to create the necessary local database (if you have the storage space) to test whether you can add more notes there.  Local notebooks might be a way you could 'archive' some part of your synced account to get additional headroom.  The notes would still be available on your desktop,  but nowhere else.

What if I want to continue using local notebooks?
For the near future, we will continue to maintain an older version of Evernote that allows you to access your local notebooks as you do now.

Are local notebooks the same as offline notebooks?
No. Local notebooks are notebooks that are not (and have never) synced to Evernote, and only exist on the computer where they are created. 

Convert local notebooks – Evernote Help & Learning

Hope some of that helps - please let us know which direction you eventually take!

(If anyone else knows how the notebook limit deals with unsynced notebooks please feel free to correct me!)

• Like 2
On 11/4/2022 at 11:38 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  There is a specific feature request section of the forum where other users can vote in support of your suggestion,  the implication being that - very much subject to budget and Evernote's other priorities - they'll deal with requests in order of support levels.  However I've also been using Evernote since the 2008's and I only got to 59k notes so far.  I think the number of users worried by this limit is probably into low double digits...  I can move your post there if you agree - I'll gladly support it,  even though it appears I have a couple of years' leeway.

There's no 'pay more to get more' scheme that I'm aware of,  other than (obvs) you could use another account - with another email address - to archive some of your notes,  or you could start completely afresh and just refer back to the current account as the archive.  (Minor items like login email details can be swopped around if necessary).

Or you might consider a Teams account where limits are higher - and per user - although that also involves a lot of extra admin that I would really not recommend.

Notes can be combined rather easily - not recommended for active documents,  but those relating to an older project or a specific old contact could be useful condensed into a single long document or even exported to ENEX to be filed elsewhere.  If you ever need to consult the information it can easily be reinstated - if your then total of notes allows.

I'm not sure how the note limit deals with local (unsynced) notebooks - this is not supported by v10 but Legacy used to (and still does) offer that option.  You might like to install legacy on a desktop and allow Evernote to create the necessary local database (if you have the storage space) to test whether you can add more notes there.  Local notebooks might be a way you could 'archive' some part of your synced account to get additional headroom.  The notes would still be available on your desktop,  but nowhere else.

Hope some of that helps - please let us know which direction you eventually take!

(If anyone else knows how the notebook limit deals with unsynced notebooks please feel free to correct me!)

If you could move my post to the feature request section that would be fantastic. If I need to do that I’m sure I can do that. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

OK - moved.  I also voted,  since while I won't need an extension for a while yet,  I don't see the need for this limit to remain fixed.  It was set years ago as (I assume) an artbitrary figure,  purely because everything needs to have a limit somewhere.  Experience has proven though that large notes are not a good idea;  they take longer to sync / fill up mobile capacity quicker / take longer to save / offer long periods and multiple chances to 'fat finger' and error or get caught out by a network glitch / automatically offer the chance to lose e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g in one huge package / and are difficult to navigate through.

Lots and lots of smaller notes by comparison are easier and much quicker to find and file.  And if users lose one paragraph of some long tract,  it's much easier to correct!