Evernote and Apple Pencil for Handwriting

I haven't used Evernote since I got my first Apple Pencil a few years ago. Does Evernote support handwriting yet? I only see that I can handwrite notes in Sketch, and I am looking to include them without any other add-ons, like OneNote and Apple Notes. I know of course Apple Notes is native so it's not really fair to compare it, but I like handwritten notes (not Scribble) and the lack of this is the only thing stopping me from returning to Evernote. 

If this isn't a feature...has Evernote indicate if they might consider it?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

One can use this more general tools like ON or Apple Notes. But none of them is really build around a handwriting experience.

For me only the step to a real handwriting app did make sense. I decided after some testing for GoodNotes 5, but others may use Notability, MyScript Nebo or Noteshelf. Some even use the pretty aged Penultimate app provided by EN. Noteshelf and Penultimate will save directly into EN. With GoodNotes the handwritten notes are kept in GoodNotes itself. They are made fully searchable there as well.

When a project is closed, I can then export it to a pdf, and send the pdf to EN for archiving. The OCR is embedded into the pdf, which means that it is fully searchable in EN. Not ideal, but for me the best combination I was able to find.

Since handwriting and the user interface is always very individual, I would tell everybody to get a bunch of apps, test them and stick with the one you like best. When you do not feel comfy with a handwriting app, you will not use it.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Every so often I pop back to see if Evernote has done anything to evolve it's handwriting support - and every couple of years I'm disappointed again.  I was a paid Penultimate user, and Evernote user, when Evernote bought that product in 2012.  I was so excited that these products would merge and evolve together to provide a one stop shop for notetaking on an iPad.  But alas, Penultimate has withered on the vine of zero development for over 10 years now.  Certainly can't claim to be "The best digital handwriting on iPad" - as it's app description states.  Thus we're left with workarounds, importing and exporting notes to use what should be such a natural fit.  

What disappoints me the most is seeing all the development work that has gone into creating and adding tasks, not that this is a bad thing - but not something I was looking for from a premium note taking app.  

I'm hanging in there as an Evernote user for now - but am on the cusp of moving to OneNote, which I pay for anyway with an MS subscription.  Not expecting any change after 10 years, just wanted to express my feelings - perhaps as part of the grieving process of leaving.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Come back when they advertise they have handwriting support. They don’t, so why do you come searching for it ?

If handwriting integration is needed, there is Penultimate (pretty outdated), or you can use Noteshelf, which allows to sync into EN notes. No native support, never had.

• Level 5

The only reference to handwriting in the main app I was able to find is the search in handwritten documents. This they do - within the limits of the function, which is restricted to certain picture files and some more technicalities. No further advertising - not even in the iOS app in the AppStore.

Penultimate works ... and nobody says it would be cutting edge technology.

• Level 5

This claim is in the AppStore description of Penultimate - not in the EN app.

Penultimate is an independent app - it is no part of EN. It is listed under Evernote Corporation, but the original developer was another company. Its main technical link to EN is that is syncs into a connected account.

If you want to discuss Penultimate, there is another subform dedicated at this venerable jewel among handwriting apps.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

What you describe is probably the Scribble feature - provided by Apple with iPadOS. It has nothing to do with EN.

You can try yourself: Go to iPadOS settings, Apple Pencil and deactivate the Scribble function. No more handwriting to text conversion … toggle it back, and the function resumes.