Passwordless authentication?

cgk

Idea

5 replies to this idea

Details?

I unlock Evernote on my iPhone and iPad with FaceID. On my Mac and PC there isn't authentication at all (once you've signed in one time) except the security of the account on the OS... and same with the web -- my browser remembers me for 30 days.

• Level 5

The way is to set up good device security. On mobile it is through biometric methods (touch or face ID). On computers one should set up a different account for every user. The EN account can remain logged in - authentication happens once when opening the account. Depending on the device there is the possibility to set up Face ID (Windows Hello) or touch (most Macs).

Nothing to do for EN.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, PinkElephant said:

The way is to set up good device security. On mobile it is through biometric methods (touch or face ID). On computers one should set up a different account for every user. The EN account can remain logged in - authentication happens once when opening the account. Depending on the device there is the possibility to set up Face ID (Windows Hello) or touch (most Macs).

Nothing to do for EN.

So passwordless is a new authentication model being adopted by Apple, Microsoft (already in use), Google and companies like Paypal and password managers.

It completely removes the use of passwords by the end-user - so if I was setting up evernote on a new device I would not use a password to do it.

its explained here:

https://thehackernews.com/2022/10/google-rolling-out-passkey-passwordless.html

• Level 5

The app or website still needs to support passkeys. Experts expect a rollout that will take several years. 

In general anybody who wants to use EN should first make a classical setup with email address, password and 2FA. This may be essential when one of the other methods (like SSO) fails.

And then - when EN has implemented it one fine day - everybody can use passkey for the day to day use.

• Like 1