More text customization options (more colors, more highlighter colors, dividers, etc)

hemillle

Idea

I know a lot of people complain about the web client being kind of abandoned at this point, but... I still need to try! 

I think a lot of users could benefit from more text customization options on Web client. SPECIALLY the huge public that uses Evernote on a daily basis for studies/journaling in general. 

This might sound ''useless'' or silly to a few people. But let me explain.

Here in Brazil, (a huge country) for example, Evernote is still one of the BIGGEST [If not the most used one] note-taking apps/websites for students of all levels (undergraduate, graduation, post-graduation, students for high level careers that needs to pass complex national exams to get a good/stable/public job [yes, this is a thing here, most of Brazil's population right now are in this race, and we are prepared to run it since childhood, specially with our economy being this way and tons of unemployment- search it up [ENEM/SAT, OAB, Concursos públicos, Revalida exam], as well as BAR exam students, and other goals/other students in general! 

Even the big and famous preparatory courses here for those big exams RECOMMEND us using Evernote for studies... Even the big, famous universities here in Brazil as well...

Those courses that millions of people subscribe to and take the classes everyday, in person or online classes.... Anyways. Just explaining (PART) of the relevancy of this topic.

We are using Evernote as our literal daily-basis study notebooks, and we want to make it colorful, fun, INTERESTING to look at. It's one of the ways to get dopamine from studying, you know? Studying hard is, well... already hard and boring enough... So..

> You don't need to go too far to find this huge public: on pinterest, ~study aesthetics~, journaling, lettering stuff, notebook decorations/customization are a huge thing. Look it up. Gen X, Millennials and Gen Z are obsessed with it, well, exacly because of what I just said before. It makes studying a good, fun, cool experience. It's about our future. It's a big deal.

So, with that being said, I believe that millions of users could benefit from:

* More text customization colors and that kind of thing (for color coding purposes in studying and note-taking)

* More highlight customization colors (same purposes)

* Emoji tab or something similar - I know we can add emojis to it, but on the WEB CLIENT/PC I have to look up for emojis on Google one by one, copy and paste each one of them, adjust them, etc. Well, it's a struggle. Every single time. We can use emojis to make the text more fun, to use it as topic markings, anyways, there are a lot of possibilities.

* Dividers tab/options - Do you know the washi tape users on traditional notebooks? It's an important tool to customize notebooks, lettering and journaling notebooks. It works as text dividers, besides the dull, boring ''thin line''..... We could have at least a few more options as dividers? I need to copy and paste kaomojis (japanese emojis/symbols) one by one to create my dividers because I don't have anything similar on the web client... 

* Be able to add gifs to the text - since we don't have these mentioned customization options, but we can add videos and documents to the file, why not be able to add cute and cool gifs to our notes? I know we can paste gifs inside out texts, but it just freezes on the first frame. It doesn't move. And we can't make them centered-alignment either... A giphy/similar option to that big social media/app platform that most of us use everyday for photos and videos (not sure if I can mention them here)... Anyways.

* More font options, etc! 

P.s.: If any of these options already exist for the Web Client/PC client, please ignore - I didn't know it. (And tell me your ways! Please! Hehe :) ) I'd love to hear suggestions as well, if there are any.

P.s.: Please forgive any typing mistakes. English is not my first language. Thanks!

ALSO, Don't get me wrong guys, I absolutely love Evernote, I've been using it for almost a decade now, I just wanted to provide feedback that could be useful to other users, and make Evernote a even more fluid, dynamic and fun experience/tool/app! :D 

Thank you so much for your time and attention! 

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I haven't seen any complaints about the web version being "abandoned" - it has a few less features than the installed apps,  mainly because of the limitations imposed on all web-based apps by the browsers it has to operate through.  As far as I know,  Evernote Web is otherwise as developed as any of the other clients.  Since it's company policy now that - as far as possible - every app will have an identical user interface,  your wish list will apply to every client - and I agree with a lot of it.  The current editor is still fairly limited and could be better in so many ways. 

But.

The current work-around is: if you want your note to look pretty,  create it in an app that already has the sort of flexibility that you need.  There are a ton of word-processors and office suites out there that will do the job.  If you need to see the fancy result in your note - just print to PDF and attach that to your note.  Attach the working file too,  so it's available to be edited anywhere you have access to the note and the word-processor app.

And.

Since there are SO many options out there - why should Evernote re-invent the wheel and add the options you've specified?  There are many other features that might be popular - adding properly formatted formulae,  accounting layouts or mind maps forinstance - it will be a never-ending project to add every users' list of features.  It's actually more flexible (and much more efficient) to allow users to choose the layout software appropriate for their country and area of study,  and save the output files in Evernote.

• Level 5

Looking at the platform used (HTML code) I wouldn‘t expect an explosion of „playstuff“ to make the notes more „whatever“. Hard to describe, because probably everybody has his own expectations (others want a full math formula editor …).

About emojis: Depending on the OS there are helpers that provide an easy access to emojis. Mac has it build in, will install in the menu bar. Emojis can be selected and simply copied into the text. This works for all apps, in browsers as well. No idea on windows.