Content of notes is being copied without intent

I was working on a note and while editing the system became extremely slow. Therefore I closed the screen and reopened it.

Now all of a sudden for 2 notes the content has been replaced by the content of another note. As I don't have a paid account, I cannot see the history of the notes and go back. How can I fix this?

• Level 5

Hard to tell without having seen how it happened.

The main question is whether the notes have already synced to the server. If you have another device connected that was and is still offline (EN app not opened), it may be the original state of the notes is still there. However once EN is opened, it can sync and overwrite this older status.

On the assumption your second device is a mobile (phone or tablet), you can try to switch flight mode on and then open the EN app while offline. Look for the notes. If you still find the original content, you can select it, copy it and paste it into another app (like a text app, an email draft or similar). Not sure about whether this is allowed under the Free plan, but worth a try.

The next best alternative is then note history, which means subscribing for a month.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, JayWuz said:

Therefore I closed the screen and reopened it

@PinkElephant's advice is sound. I have a question about what exactly you did. Did you close the Evernote window, and if so, did you just click the X at top right to close it, or did you do File > Quit Evernote? The former only closes the interface window that is open; the latter actually shuts Evernote down. Since Evernote is constantly syncing, such a shutdown could have disrupted the sync and caused the corruption.

• Like 1

@PinkElephant @Dave-in-Decatur thank you both for replying to my issue. The strange thing was actually that somehow the content of another (second) note replaced the content of my initial note. Out of nowhere and without syncing. It even happened for 2 other notes as well, where the content of one note was copied automatically to another note. Even more strange was that I didn't even work in those notes that day. 

Long story short, I went for the subscription for a month and restored the older versions. So problem fixed, but the cause is still unknown. 

• Like 1