Include Note Size stats option in the main window

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*

I'm just getting used to v10,  having stuck my fingers in my ears and hummed very loudly for over a year waiting for either Evernote to improve or for my hardware to get fast enough to run the software at a reasonable speed.  Happily both things have happened,  and here I am. 

Currently doing a bit of "curating" - housekeeping / weeding / tidying - involving 15 notes which chart the evolution of a support request with my desktop monitor supplier (I could just as easily be dealing with duplicate notes.)  Most were added as emails,  so include a history thread which would allow me to clean up the earlier emails.  Some are just duplicates because I saved something twice.

With Legacy,  checking whether two notes are identical is pretty easy - you see the note size / word count / character count at the foot of the window.  In v10 it's not so much;  it's Ctrl+Shift+I or the three dots menu to pull up note info;  and the stats are on the last line.

I'd very much appreciate an option to include stats somewhere on the main note screen to make comparisons easier.  As it is I'm probably going back to Legacy to get this done.  It's harder than it needs to be in v10.

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

My sympathy, the result of email ping-pong makes rarely for easy reading. Especially when the conversation had been forked, with a lot of CCs and BCCs („answer all“).

But why sort it out when saved ? You will find it again anyhow, if needed. My experience is I rarely need it, however. So I don’t waste time with trying to make sense of these email threads.

Beside this I mainly use the mail client to archive mails. EN can receive them, but IMHO is not the best solution.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

But why sort it out when saved?

This was one of those happy chance things where I was looking for the model and serial number of the monitor and came across a bunch of emails saved a couple of years ago.  They are an escalating series of comments and responses with the final email showing all of them in one hit.  In Legacy it's easy to clear up that sort of thing because of the stats - just look for the biggest file size and zap the rest.  Same for any random duplications I find - two notes with the same title?  Do they contain the same number of words / characters?  If so delete one.  

I don't have an ongoing process to find and delete unnecessary content,  but -as here- if I find one or more duplicate notes in a search I'll try to tidy things up for next time.  It should take a few minutes at most,  but where in Legacy I can scroll up and down a list of hits and quickly see the relative sizes of notes,  v10 requires a 3-finger salute on each note,  and another keypress to close that Info window.  It's wildly inefficient.

I would not intentionally search for duplicates to try to slim down my data footprint,  but when I run into them I like to be tidy...  plus I'm pushing 57K notes now - I want to limit further growth as far as possible.  I know the limit is 100,000 notes,  but I have no interest in testing any boundaries!  

• Level 5

Make the note size show in the middle panel.

Right click on the column header, set check mark for "size".

Works both for the normal view, and for the search results view as well. What does not work is sorting by size - but usually a sort by date will bring the latest e-mail from a thread to the top, or close to it.

• Thanks 1