Live Word Count

Luckyong

Idea

Although we can check the Word Count of a Note under 'Note Info', it would be much more convenient to see a 'live' Word Count at the bottom of each Note. Right now, I have to open another Word processor to write and use its live word count feature, and then copy what I have written back to Evernote for safekeeping. Thus, a 'Live' Word Count feature would make Evernote my default word processing and knowledge management tool.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Simply do it yourself: Install the PopClip menu bar extension, and you get a nice little floating menu. Word and symbol count is just one of the many actions, it is fully configurable. And it works everywhere, not only in EN.

Sorry Windows users: Out of luck here.

468217578_Bildschirmfoto2022-05-04um12_43_56.thumb.png.4da7713b32102307752a1e98b5bca3d1.png

Not perfect but a quick CTRL+SHIFT+I will bring up the note info and Esc closes it. Hands don't leave the keyboard so it's nice and quick.

Macs use some weird key for CTRL I think... 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Get the PopClip extension, beside a ton of other functions it counts, everything, everywhere. Just select the text to count, done.

In EN word count can always be seen in note information - Shift-cmd-I is the shortcut to toggle it on and off.

Just for the record … EN is a note taking tool, not an authors app (like Ulysses or Scrivener).

Live word count where you can see the # of words in the note's status bar is available in Windows. But since I've switched to Mac, this feature is no longer available.

Lots of writers use word count and this was a feature I used every day on Windows Evernote.

Mac users shouldn't have to download a separate extension to see word count.

Please add this feature to Evernote. For now, I'm going to migrate over to Word and Google Docs as both have the live word count function.

• Level 5

Everything was already answered. There is shift-cmd-I at any time, to see the word count in the note information window. With Esc you close the info window and return to the note. 2 simple shortcuts are more than you can remember ?

EN has not designed the new editor with authoring capabilities in mind. It is made for note taking, not for writing long text. Personally I doubt we will see a live counter, but of course I could be wrong.

If you want to reach EN, issue a support ticket, or use the feedback function.