Any ideas?

pete

EN 7 Search for %22Forest Walk%22.png

EN 10 Search %22Forest Walk%22.png

• Evernote Expert
27 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

I can't afford to lose notes when upgrding

Any ideas?

Have you checked that the notes are actually missing or could they just be absent from the search results?

In Evernote 10 choose to display all notes then sort in updated date order. Browse down to October and December 2021 and see if the 'missing' notes are present but just not being found in the search.

Resolving a search problem will be different to recovering notes that have been deleted.

You posted in the Android App area of the forums but your screen shots look like Mac desktop. Is that correct?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I second in general the proposal made by @agsteele to check on the web client - but it may be a problem in your case, since you seem to be on a Free Account !!! The web client is counted as a device, which means you will probably violate the device limit.

To me it looks as if the v10 client has a corrupted local database. You can resolve it through this procedure (or a Mac, Windows is slightly different). Hopefully the search results will match after rebuilding the database from the cloud server:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
  • Like 1
On 4/6/2022 at 4:16 PM, agsteele said:

Have you checked that the notes are actually missing or could they just be absent from the search results?

In Evernote 10 choose to display all notes then sort in updated date order. Browse down to October and December 2021 and see if the 'missing' notes are present but just not being found in the search.

Resolving a search problem will be different to recovering notes that have been deleted.

You posted in the Android App area of the forums but your screen shots look like Mac desktop. Is that correct?

Thanks for your response, agsteele

yes this is a Mac desktop. sorry.

I attach 2 screenshots:

1. showing the result of searching for "Violin Track" in v7 ( on left) and v10

2. showing the result for scrolling to the date as you suggest, looking for the note: 'violin track? Billy'

214330481_Lookingfornotedated11thoct21.thumb.png.901e129fffd2e6cb38c72e879204802f.png

Different results for search.png

Edited by peterlemer
second thoughts
On 4/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, PinkElephant said:

I second in general the proposal made by @agsteele to check on the web client - but it may be a problem in your case, since you seem to be on a Free Account !!! The web client is counted as a device, which means you will probably violate the device limit.

To me it looks as if the v10 client has a corrupted local database. You can resolve it through this procedure (or a Mac, Windows is slightly different). Hopefully the search results will match after rebuilding the database from the cloud server:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 

Thanks for your response, PinkElephant.

On my display agsteele doesn't mention the web client. In any case the note mentioned above "violin track' doesn't appear on the web client either.

Nor is it in the notes list for 11th Oct

(later)

I see that that file is flagged as 'local' . That must be the problem.

How do I migrate my v7 database, including local files, to v10?

pete

On 4/6/2022 at 4:16 PM, agsteele said:

update: see my response to PinkElephant re 'local' notes

pete

• Evernote Expert
16 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

I see that that file is flagged as 'local' . That must be the problem.

How do I migrate my v7 database, including local files, to v10?

That will be the answer. Local notes aren't an option in v10. You should find an option to move local notes in v10 but the easiest option is to avoid the Legacy app and move the local notes to an online notebook. They will then sync into V10 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, agsteele said:

That will be the answer. Local notes aren't an option in v10. You should find an option to move local notes in v10 but the easiest option is to avoid the Legacy app and move the local notes to an online notebook. They will then sync into V10 

I think I originally used the local option because I have material of value that I didn;t want to trust to the cloud.

How secure is Evernote data online?

Could I keep the local data in v7 and use that as a suppository ( no jokes please ;-)) going forward?

pete

• Level 5

As secure as it gets:

The most important part is your own:

• Choose a strong, unique password 
  • Set up 2FA
  • When on a public WiFi, think about using a VPN, or switch to mobile 

You can install and run the legacy client side by side with v10. If you decide to keep your local notebooks local in the legacy client, you can do so.

However any changes done to these notes (or their copies in the cloud) will not sync with each other. Local is local, cloud is cloud, so I would decide to keep the legacy notebooks as an archive, if at all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As secure as it gets:

The most important part is your own:

• Choose a strong, unique password 
  • Set up 2FA
  • When on a public WiFi, think about using a VPN, or switch to mobile 

You can install and run the legacy client side by side with v10. If you decide to keep your local notebooks local in the legacy client, you can do so.

However any changes done to these notes (or their copies in the cloud) will not sync with each other. Local is local, cloud is cloud, so I would decide to keep the legacy notebooks as an archive, if at all.

thanks again PinkElephant.

If I keep local notes /only/ in v7 can I connect them with v10 using note links?

pete

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, peterlemer said:

Could I keep the local data in v7 and use that as a suppository ( no jokes please ;-)) going forward?

Legacy is going. Not necessarily immediately, but it is not even receiving palliative care. One day it will just stop working and then it will be gone. If it breaks because of an OS update then you are likely to lose the local notes as well. The online notes will still be accessible in V10 but local could go overnight, without warning and not as a direct result of a decision by Evernote to stop the Legacy app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 minute ago, peterlemer said:

thanks again PinkElephant.

If I keep local notes /only/ in v7 can I connect them with v10 using note links

No. Local note links work locally and not across applications.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Legacy is going. Not necessarily immediately, but it is not even receiving palliative care. One day it will just stop working and then it will be gone. If it breaks because of an OS update then you are likely to lose the local notes as well. The online notes will still be accessible in V10 but local could go overnight, without warning and not as a direct result of a decision by Evernote to stop the Legacy app.

@agsteeleThe biggest risk to their notes is to leave them in Legacy. Start migrating sooner than later. Even if they don't just drop access to local files, if something does go wrong there's not much hope of support or recovery (I'm guessing)... I'm a bleeding edge beta kinda guy so... 

16 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

Two more questions:

How do I view all local notes in v7?

How do I de-localise them? so they become global?

@peterlemer

When you say de-localise do you mean in V7 or when upgrading?

If upgrading them you will be prompted to use the tool to convert them into V10

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107-Convert-local-notebooks

As for viewing all local notes it used to be just a folder in the Evernote directory marked Local  if I’m not mistaken. Don’t remember as I never used it much and it was just a folder on my desktop when I did. 

• Level 5

You will be prompted when upgrading - but you can as well convert them later.

Just make sure you create an ENEX-Export of your local notebooks and save it away before upgrading. All cloud synced notes from legacy clients are already synced to the EN server, and will download from there to the v10 client. Local notebooks are not synced - you hold the only copy of these data in your local database. If you have a backup of your computer, the local notebooks will probably be there as well.

But there is no server backup for the locals, so it is good practice to create a backup before tinkering with updating.

How to find them: Go to the notebook tab in the left panel. Local notebooks will show a text in notebook view:

SCR-20220411-33c.thumb.png.e896727d5de01784bf7c7c4874a2d095.png