2fa two factor authentication not working

I've been using evernotes 2fa to login for weeks, and this morning now it is no longer sending me phone texts
smells like a broken lambda ???
I tried having evernote call my phone, no better, ... super lame, I trusted this app with critical data.
I decided to dig up and use the 2fa emergency codes
now informed too many failed logins, and to try again later - w t f ? 
Now I am waiting (how long? wow, ... really?)
so, guess I will wait for 5m, 10m, 1h, 1d, the whole time wondering why I am paying for this clunky tool ...

fwiw, and maybe another thread, add support for virtual 2fa devices, you know, like grownup applications do.
So unhappy right now, and reminded I really cannot trust evernote with critical data

Update - the sms texts were received - 20 minutes later 🤣

Smells like a queuing problem.

And, the phone never rang.

Still unable to log into the app, waiting for an undetermined amount of time to be able to try again and see if the app is able to handle 2fa

did I mention mention this is really unprofessional (the apps handling of 2fa :) lol ) wow, what a way to begin a work day.

Bummed I bought a year of premium, assuming the evernote could be trusted with my critical data. ... sigh.

time to look for reasonable alternatives, again :( 

Yes, this is a rant, but I tried contacting support (did I mention lame) and cannot log in to get support.

wow, well this has been an educational experience, and a reminder that some apps cannot be trusted out of the box with critical personal data.

• Level 5

If on a subscription I would rather use an authenticator app. EN says Google Authenticator all over the place - fact is ANY authenticator app that produces time-base cipher codes will work. Personally I use Authy, very good if you want to use several devices to produce codes. SMS works for both types of accounts, but Free users can't use an app to authenticate.

About the SMS codes: The queue can happen everywhere. At EN, at any server on its way, on the mobile company. A delay is always possible, happens to me with all sort of providers. If possible I avoid the SMS codes. They are better than no 2FA for sure, but the app does a better and independent job.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, SteveAbbot said:

Update - the sms texts were received - 20 minutes later 🤣

wow, well this has been an educational experience, and a reminder that some apps cannot be trusted out of the box with critical personal data.

What you don't know is where the issue arose... I regularly get times when SMS messages, in general, take tens of minutes to arrive. The issue isn't with the sender but with the SMS routing. It may well have been at Evernote but it could have been in several places along the way.

As for being trusted with your critical data... I'd say that the system worked well. The 2FA process failed for you and Evernote's system decided to protect your data just in case something dodgy was going on.

I would have said early on that the backup codes would be the way to go. Clearly too many attempts were made before you recalled that option. As @PinkElephant said, you may get better results with an authenticator app. They work regardless of having a phone signal or hiccups in the SMS system wherever they may be.

• Like 2