(Archived) How to log out

elomichel

Idea

Hello,

I'm having troubles finding how to log out (not just quit) when I use Evernote on my mac. So I don't really feel comfortable using the software on a mac that isn't mine... I wouldn't want to leave my notebooks open to however follows me... Could you help me with that ?

Thank you very much !

20 replies to this idea

Pretty much every other Mac app that requires a password also offers a way of logging out and in at will. Find this concept a bit odd. think I may have to delete and rely on website. This makes it less attractive to me as it means having to rely on an internet connection. I would prefer a local copy.

Same frustration about logging out. Apparently evernote has two accounts for me - so the wrong one popped up without my stuff in it. Took me forever to try to get back to the "right" one. BUT - success! I took the advice from above - deleted cookies from Chrome. Made sure the preferences for Evernote were set to not keep it running in the background while quitting. Quit Evernote. Relaunched it - and it asked for my new username and password.

If you're going to share your Mac, why not set up different user accounts for every user? That way, everything, including Evernote, is password protected. Enable Fast User Switching and switching from ine account to another takes seconds. I generally keep the Guest account running (it's special as it clears a lot of info when you log out) so that if anyone wants to use my MacBook, I don't need to worry about them having access to my private data, or having their search history mixed in with mine.

And, it's a tool you already have.

Whaaaaaat???? Is this true? I just spend an hour installing Evernote on my Mac and another hour trying to log out. Seems this is not possible. So, if I am going to have Evernote on my Mac, I can't log out? What where you thinking when you did this??? I know that I can use the web version, but really?????

Please tell me I am wrong, so I can reinstall, as I am going to uninstall now.

David

To delete the application itself:

Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the menu bar

Drag the Evernote app to the Trash

empty it from the Trash

To delete your local database files:

In the Finder, go into your "home" directory

Then go into: Library / Application Support

Delete the folder named "Evernote"

Don't object to having data on Mac. Just thought the app may be password protected and found log in screen confusing. Would like to delete app and data from work mac and use website. What's the most secure way of doing this? Love the service by the way.

If you truly don't want any of your data to be stored on the computer that you're using, then we recommend that you use our web service in a browser that's configured to clear all cookies and temp files on exit. E.g. Chrome in Incognito Mode.

The local client is meant to be run on "your" computer, where you store other important stuff like your email, Office documents, etc.

This seems really simple to me - on your own computer you are responsible for the security of your data and so you take steps to protect it.

Indeed. Just like pretty much everything else in life. We have to take active steps to get oil changed on our cars, pay the bills so we have lights on in the house, etc. Now that computers are an integral part of our lives, that's also an added responsibility - maintenance, upkeep & backups as well as taking care to protect any sensitive data.

This is not going to either...

Not get a premium account

Give my premium account back

Stop me buying premium accounts for the thousands of people in my company

Stop me using a free account and make me go back to OneNote, Things, etc

etc, etc, ad nauseum

I like that. :D

The fact that there is a 'stay signed in' check box surely implys that there is an option not to 'stay signed in' surely?

This sort of thing makes me think it's a bit rough around the edges. What else could this be for?

It's for sync'ing (at least on the Windows app.) There are times when one may not want to sync when invoking the app. IE, if you peeve off your SO & they have your EN password & delete all your notes. (Per one poster about a year ago, this really did happen to him.) In that case, you would want to be able to restore from one of your backups & not immediately sync b/c otherwise it will delete all your notes (since they were deleted from the EN servers by the peeved SO.)

The fact that there is a 'stay signed in' check box surely implys that there is an option not to 'stay signed in' surely?

This sort of thing makes me think it's a bit rough around the edges. What else could this be for?

Anyway, I'm happy to be signed in on my home Mac but my work mac which is used 99.9% of the time by me is still vulnerable so I reluctantly have no option but to delete the app and use website. How do I cleanly delete app and all data?

• Level 5*

Dropbox is often compared to Evernote for a bunch of reasons.

You can't log out of Dropbox on a Mac - you can unlink, which I'm guessing removes any data from your local machine.

This seems really simple to me - on your own computer you are responsible for the security of your data and so you take steps to protect it.

If you are using a work computer or a friend's computer or anyone that doesn't belong to you and you are using a service like Evernote or Dropbox then you choose the web. This helps to prevent you from inadvertently downloading private data.

I'm going to throw in my new favourite signature here:

This is not going to either...

Not get a premium account

Give my premium account back

Stop me buying premium accounts for the thousands of people in my company

Stop me using a free account and make me go back to OneNote, Things, etc

etc, etc, ad nauseum

Like to store the data locally but not having it so easily accessible.

Evernote leaves the security up to the user. This has been discussed at great length already. On my PC, that means I store my Evernote database in a Truecrypt (encrypted) container & add PINs (if I want them) with GameProtector.

Please search the board for more information, if you're interested in how to secure your information on a Mac.

Can we not just have a simply splash screen (like 1password for example) that asks for a password before one can view notes?

Surely this would be the obvious solution?

And why do we get a pop up window to log in at launch asking for log in details even though I'm already logged in (I know it can be turned off)?

All seems a bit beta?

Like to store the data locally but not having it so easily accessible.

If you don't want to store any data on the computer you're using, I'd recommend using Evernote from the web.

By nature, our clients need to synchronize all of your data to the local file system so that they can quickly search and browse your notes.

I can't use the desktop version of Evernote for this very reason. I can't seem to log out. Not matter what I do (clear my username and password in 'Account Info' menu) I can't log out. Why can't there be a simple password protection option that won't let you open without a password. I use Evernote at work, and can't have people looking at sensitive info when I'm not there.

No, there's no function that will tell clients on other computers to delete all of your data from that computer. (Since Evernote accounts can have gigabytes of data, including local notebooks and other unsynchronized content, this could be a bit dangerous.)

It's a bit easier for a web-only application with no relevant local storage to just throw away a cookie.

Can I force to log out other computer's evernote even to delete the database on it? like the Gmail force sign out funtion?

Gmail have a function of "Activity on this account", you can have a look at which computer have download the information, and force to log out: "This account does not seem to be open in any other location. However, there may be sessions that have not been signed out. "

When you sign in to Evernote on a Mac, we will download your entire account and build a replica of your data in a database on that computer. This process can take a while if you have a large account. For casual use on someone else's computer, I'd recommend using the web interface instead of synchronizing your full account onto their computer.

Archived