meta data I think.

Little background, we lost our house in a wildfire.  I am doing my house inventory in evernote with a fire notebook and then a note for each room or category in the fire.

I am going to hand this notebook over to my adjuster... so they can start to value it all.   THe thing is I am sure there will be things we forgot and want to add to it... and make it clear tha this is something new.  Whats the best way to go abou that?  Create a new note with an incremental dated name as the first one I hand over with just the new things in that note?  or is there something clever to lock everything in a note and make that apparent and add new stuff to the note then?  Thanks for any suggestions, I'm not a particularly savvy evernote user, I just do basic stuff mostly, so appreciate any ideas on making this simple for me.

Regards

Bill

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you say "hand this notebook over",  I trust you mean "share with" so you still have access to the original.  In that case you can just add a dated horizontal line to the current note and add text below it to include new items.  Your adjusters will seen the update when they next open the note.  To make sure they see the correct and latest data you should also email the adjuster with the individual note link for the note(s) to which you make additions.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@gazumped mentioned the key issues already.

Sometimes it works better to add edits at the beginning of a note, instead of at the end. You can insert a table at the beginning of the note called „Changes“, with the date of the change in the first column.

A nice side effect is when you drop a picture into a table cell, it resizes automatically to the cell size, but keeps its original resolution and quality.

Just make sure anybody is aware that a shared note is locked for everybody else when opened by one user. If he forgets to close it before logging out, it stays read-only for everybody else.

Since finding individually shared notes can be a problem, best practice is to use shared notebooks instead. Every note that goes into that notebook is shared - when removed from the notebook, the sharing stops. You  can share duplicate notes to retain the originals unshared.

• Like 1