Constant crashing when editing note - how to salvage its content?

I have this note in which I store and organize .pdfs (research articles). Because Evernote has made it impossible to view .pdf as attachments by default, I'm forced to scroll through endless list of .pdf pages now. As all files are loading, Evernote for Mac crashes. All the time. Same happens when I access the note in my browser. So I have no access to the .pdfs at all now, but because of annotations they are very valuable to me.

At this point I just want to salvage all .pdf files that are in the note and move on with my life. Yes, I know of the 'pdf in table' workaround. That's what I'll do first thing when I can access the files again. 

Any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  If you have a number of PDFs in one note it may be that you are getting close to the maximum note size for your subscription. It may help - if it is practical to do so - if you right-click each PDF window as it starts to load and choose 'show as attachment'.  Otherwise you may have to experiment with the web version and export (or copy/ paste) your files from there and/ or the Legacy app which (AFAIK) still allows attachments as a default.

22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you have a number of PDFs in one note it may be that you are getting close to the maximum note size for your subscription. It may help - if it is practical to do so - if you right-click each PDF window as it starts to load and choose 'show as attachment'.  Otherwise you may have to experiment with the web version and export (or copy/ paste) your files from there and/ or the Legacy app which (AFAIK) still allows attachments as a default.

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been trying to tediously right-click every .pdf in the note, but then at some point Evernote crashes on me again. Same with web version. The note size is 144MB, so well under the maximum of 200MB per note on an Evernote Personal subscription. Now I can't functionally access the note at all anymore. It's rather frustrating.  

Edited by jarrett-cephus
added note size
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Have you tried Legacy yet?  You should also have access to 'save attachments'.  I'm not a Mac user,  so don't really have any more useful ideas,  but there should be more comments in due course. -We're a mainly user-supported Forum,  so reactions tend to be a bit sporadic...

Just now, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Have you tried Legacy yet?  You should also have access to 'save attachments'.  I'm not a Mac user,  so don't really have any more useful ideas,  but there should be more comments in due course. -We're a mainly user-supported Forum,  so reactions tend to be a bit sporadic...

I've exported the note to be on the safe side, and will be awaiting possible workarounds posted here before I go on to ultimately re-construct the note with the exported .pdfs. Legacy is not an option for me, as I'd like to keep using features that legacy doesn't offer. Thanks a lot for helping me out so far @gazumped

• Level 5*

No problem for the help - Legacy installs alongside v10,  not instead of it;  so you could install / wait for the database to be recreated / extract your files from the note,  and then uninstall Legacy again - all without disturbing your use of v10 (though with some extra fiddling around). 

However I agree - someone else might have a better idea.  Best wait a while for more comment.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To me it sounds you may have a corruption of your local data file.

First make sure the note itself is sound and happy on the EN server. Look it up using the web client. Everything OK there ? Then proceed - else contact support.

To download a fresh set of data from the EN server do this:

1. Quit Evernote (cmd-Q, not only closing the app)
  2. Open Finder
  3. From the menu bar select Go > Go To Folder...
  4. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and press Go. If you don't find this directory, try ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/ and press Go.
  5. Locate the folder titled Evernote and rename it to Evernote.old.
  6. Restart the Mac
  7. Launch Evernote and try signing in.
After logging in it will need time to download the fresh copy. Better not use EN while it syncs.

In general avoid very large notes. No matter where the limit is set formally: The larger the note, the more elements it contains the larger is the chance something will go wrong.