Tag function not working - always has in Legacy (-tag:*OPA*)

I use this example tag (-tag:*OPA*) in order to find notes that don't have this wildcard based tag....  *OPA*

*OPA* will return any note that is tagged with *OPA(..and anything that might follow)

In Legacy, it has always worked perfectly (I use it as a saved search) and now in new EN, it doesn't at all.  It returns all of the notes that contain *OPA something...the very opposite of what I want.

So it's either the -tag usage to exclude, or the wildcard based * at the end of the string or both, but sadly such a fundamental part of my workflow to find notes that are missing something is now effectively not supported in new EN.

Every month or so I temporarily flick from Legacy over to latest version to see if things have improved but it's little things like this that usually ensure I have to revert to the Legacy version.  I really want to move to new but this stops me in my tracks.  The trouble is, it's a big deal for me but likely not others. It will be very low on the backlog of bugs to fix.

• Level 5

What does *OPA* mean ?

Deliver all tags that have anything at the beginning „*“. If interpreted correctly, the trailing „OPA*“ does not draw any hits, because it is a subset of the leading „*“. A * at the beginning should kill all further search, because it means „any characters, any length“. It is a nonsense search term, meaning „everything“. If it does not do this a legacy, may be.

v10 relies more on the filter element than on the search syntax. When you enter a search term, you see how it translates it into filter elements above the results list. Red elements could not be correctly identified.

This way of showing search is different from before, but if you adapt to it, I think it works pretty well. The search syntax is interpreted, which means it is read left to right. An alternative is full boolean search (with a Professional or Teams subscription), that allows for complex search terms.

• Level 5

The "*" is a wildcard. It stands for any string of characters, any length, any characters.

*OPA* is the same as * - * in itself is everything there could be trailing it. A leading * creates a nonsense search, it means "find all".

When combined with the "Tag" operator, it restricts the search to "find all tags".

When combined with the "-" operator, it turns the search to its opposite.

-tag:mytag1 means find all notes that do not carry the tag mytag1

-tag:*OPA* means "Find all notes that do not carry any tag", which is the same as -tag:*

SCR-20220201-2j0.thumb.png.485c28a4cf8c7ca8603239a1d7e12c00.png

• Level 5

About Boolean search: This is a new feature. It is entirely up to EN to grant it to all users, or to restrict it to a certain level of subscribers. They decided it is in the top level range of subscriptions - you must not like it, but I don't think EN will care if you do.

Premium should not get it anyhow, because who is still on Premium is on a rebated old plan. These users will not get any new features - the content remains frozen until the user decides to upgrade his subscription.

If you stay on legacy or not is up to you. Legacy is there to use it - but no new features, and no support. One day it will fail, and that's it.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, jamesreadhead said:

Its based upon this:  https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

• -tag:cook*
    • Matches any note that does not have a tag that starts with "cook"

in my case...and as still working in Legacy...

-tag:*OPA* should matche any note that does not have a tag that starts with "*OPA"

Screenshots from Legacy

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 13.25.43.png

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 13.25.37.png

There is another thread on a similar topic of using * in search term. You may well find that it works correctly on the V10 web version but not on the V10 desktop version. I raised a support ticket:

When I do a search such as tag:RC_* on the web version of EN I get the expected results. If I do the same search in the Windows desktop version I get no results. I have deleted the local database and this has made no difference. However sometimes it works as expected. I can not see a pattern as to when it does or doesn't work.

Their response:

Thank you for this information you provided, as well as the prior screenshots and information you sent over. I checked into this specific issue with my technical team with searching for saved tags in Evernote for Windows/Mac only and we've received an update this is a known issue that's reproducible and our engineering team is working on resolving this ASAP.

While I don't have an ETA/Timeline for this fix, I would recommend bookmarking Evernote's Release Notes for an update when this is resolved (or, if you wish, you're more than welcome to reach out any time to check with me in this ticket or any ticket with Customer Support).