Evernote and Apple IOS Shortcuts

QuothTheRavenEverNote

Idea

hi there -- I wonder -- is there a way to use Apple Shortcuts to create an Audio memo in Evernote from the lock screen?  I've heard it's possible to create shortcuts that appear on the lock screen (along with flashlight + camera) but am wondering if it's possible to also use them to create an audio memo that's stored in evernote.  This would be life-changing...

thank you!

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

v10 is not prepared for scripting. Apple Script does not work at all. Most shortcuts that exist for EN have stopped working with v10. A few miraculously are still operational. 

You may try to create a shortcut that does what you want. But there is a risk you invest time and effort, just to find out that the action you want to run is not permitted by the EN framework, handling the external scripting.

7 minutes ago, QuothTheRavenEverNote said:

it's as if Evernote wants us to quit.

I disagree with this very much. The new iOS app is a HUGE improvement to what there was before. The unfortunate aspect of this is that there were quite a few steps backwards in functionality, but there is also quote a bit new and better functionality.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Apple Script and Shortcuts is not the same, but both belong to scripting technologies. Scripting is simpler than a full code, and depends on the OS to support it. Scripts are not compiled, but executed as they are („interpreted“).

Apple Script was introduced with the Mac, natively by Apple. Shortcuts were developed by an independent developer for iOS - Apple liked it so much they bought the whole company, and made the Shortcuts App part of iOS one year later. With MacOS 12 Monterey Shortcuts were now released for the Mac as well. Expectation is it will replace the Automator app, and maybe one day even Apple Script.

AFAIK the problem with the new EN v10 is that it runs itself inside of a framework (one for desktop, one for mobile). When scripting the script can only reach the framework level, not the app running inside of it. This is a design issue, I think it is not „fixable“.

Apart from this, the new v10 iOS app is far better than the prior versions: More features, good performance (at least on iOS devices released the last 3-4. years), closer to the desktop version than before. There are a few missing issues, but if you make a table of new / improved features and missing ones, the scale tips heavily in favor of the new version. I would like to see the iPad supported better, maybe this will be added one day. And the app should return for the Apple Watch …