Why the evernote is so slow!!!!

The software is too slow!!!
It always stole 60% CPU from the system. I have to kill it and restart to solve the CPU issue.

image.thumb.png.eadb9843558cc77713c1331838d51928.png

And when you click create new note, the spinning sign stays there for always 3-5 seconds before I can start to write something.

I guess it is because the software has to wait for some response from server? But can you design it to connect async when creating notes?

You must solve this, I am now considering unsubscribe my subscription.

I have a similar issue for IOS (not on Web), which occurs on sone notes, not all of them, see here: 

I reported this issue to support two times alteady, at least they are aware of it and seemingly working on it. 

In the meantime I go offline whenever it occurs and then I can work without a problem with no spinning wheel issue at all.

• Level 5

@PopeyeLeow EN version 10 runs inside of a framework, which is practically a chrome(ium) browser without a front end. This engine is devouring resources, as Chrome does as a browser.

The CPU count on a Mac is per CPU core - 70% means 1 core is running at 70% on EN. This is a lot - on my Mac (6 core i7) it is usually at about 25%.

To bring it down when it happens you need to quit the app (cmd q). Only closing it does not do the job.

In other threads it was reported that switching the spell check off in EN settings helped to cure that CPU problem.

EN has been working on performance issues since v10 was released. Current version is 10.27.

(This post was created using Google translate, I apologize for the inevitable grammatical errors.)

Good morning,
I have recently purchased the personal version of Evernote. I have installed the latest version of this app on my laptop, mobile phone and tablet. Unfortunately on all three I noticed that it is terribly slow in updating the notes and in general all the contents. I tried closing and reopening the app. Opening and closing notes or sections. But despite all my best efforts, I am unable to reduce the update times. Also in the past there was a button to force the update of the notes that I can't find anymore. In the old editions one of the advantages of this application was the ease of updating. Now it's really hard to use. How can I go about solving this problem? Thank you.

• Level 5

You ask a very general question.

Desktop and mobile clients are different. 

Laptop = Mac ? Can you post the device ?
Reloading is in a hidden menu option in the help menu.

Phone and Tablet is iOS or Android ?
Forcing a sync is in the app settings.

On which sort of network are you connecting ? Everything by WiFi, or is the laptop on a ethernet cable ? What is the external network speed ?

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@PopeyeLeow EN version 10 runs inside of a framework, which is practically a chrome(ium) browser without a front end. This engine is devouring resources, as Chrome does as a browser.

The CPU count on a Mac is per CPU core - 70% means 1 core is running at 70% on EN. This is a lot - on my Mac (6 core i7) it is usually at about 25%.

To bring it down when it happens you need to quit the app (cmd q). Only closing it does not do the job.

In other threads it was reported that switching the spell check off in EN settings helped to cure that CPU problem.

EN has been working on performance issues since v10 was released. Current version is 10.27.

Yes. I have to QUIT the app and then restart. I am using Evernote on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020). The 70% of a core is way too much!

I will try to disable the spell check. 

If the problem not solved, I have to get away from Evernote.

16 hours ago, Dave Green said:

Another suggestion is to run the main Evernote window (the one with the side bar) as it’s on desktop (using the green dot 🟢 in the upper left.). It seems to help (some).

It is now 30-45%. I don't know it is because of the randomness or your proposal is working, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I started working with Evernote years ago. The reason: Use Evernote to be my second brain. To be useful for that, it needs to be reactive. Having an idea?: write it down. Action?: write it down. Etc.

Unfortunately Evernote let go on responsiveness. They try to channel everything via their app. I don't like that at all. It takes forever to take a short note, or reminder. And there is no direct access to a note/notebook anymore.

I've got a lot of important notes stored in Evernote. That is the only reason to stay, but I'm already searching for an alternative. Evernote has chosen to go into another direction unfortunately.

• Like 2
On 1/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, Marcel The Netherlands said:

I started working with Evernote years ago. The reason: Use Evernote to be my second brain. To be useful for that, it needs to be reactive. Having an idea?: write it down. Action?: write it down. Etc.

Unfortunately Evernote let go on responsiveness. They try to channel everything via their app. I don't like that at all. It takes forever to take a short note, or reminder. And there is no direct access to a note/notebook anymore.

I've got a lot of important notes stored in Evernote. That is the only reason to stay, but I'm already searching for an alternative. Evernote has chosen to go into another direction unfortunately.

Yes,  being 'reactive' is a MUST! 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/3/2022 at 9:42 PM, PopeyeLeow said:

The software is too slow!!!
It always stole 60% CPU from the system. I have to kill it and restart to solve the CPU issue.

image.thumb.png.eadb9843558cc77713c1331838d51928.png

And when you click create new note, the spinning sign stays there for always 3-5 seconds before I can start to write something.

I guess it is because the software has to wait for some response from server? But can you design it to connect async when creating notes?

You must solve this, I am now considering unsubscribe my subscription.

I am considering canceling my subscription as well. Have written many times about this to Evernote and never heard a single word from them.

• 2 months later...