When is offline access not offline acces?

This morning, Evernote had an outage in Australia for a short time. The issue was with authenticating; Desktop app & iPhone said they couldn't contact the login server and the Website gave a 502 error and "please try again later" The issue was resolved pretty quickly, however, it highlighted an issue.

Unless Im mistaken, offline access to your notes only works if you have a copy of Evernote currently logged in. Even the Evernote article on offline access states "To access these notes while offline, make sure that you're already signed in to the app before you disconnect from the internet"

So, does that mean that if Evernote authentication service goes down, we lose all access to all notes until the service is restored? Even if we are paid subscribers and have offline access enabled?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Suggs said:

does that mean that if Evernote authentication service goes down, we lose all access to all notes until the service is restored?

If Evernote authentication goes down and you're not logged in,  then yes - you're unable to log back into the account and so can't see notes.  Otherwise it's just like working offline - you're able to see and edit notes but any changes won't be synced until Evernote comes back up.  Evernote doesn't have many outages,  so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Level 5

For offline access you need to be logged in before going offline. That is one part of the story.

If there is a server outage, you are not offline. You get a server link, but it is not working. This is not being offline.

To get at your notes in such a situation, go offline with your computer. Disable WiFi, pull the LAN cable, whatever. Then it can fall back to offline work. It will sync later when you are back online, and the service is up and running again.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I am having problems trying to keep all my notes available offline.

Some notes are not availble when I am off line. 

I've done several synchs got the late version. of the iPad app

I've deleted the app and reinstalled it.

It seems to work well on my iPHone