Can't reveal encrypted content

• Level 5

Probably you have encrypted formatted text, with a prior program version.

The new version can only handle text without formatting, which excludes bullet lists, numbered lists and tables as well as underline, bold etc. .

To decrypt and get rid of the formatting, install the legacy client.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably you have encrypted formatted text, with a prior program version.

The new version can only handle text without formatting, which excludes bullet lists, numbered lists and tables as well as underline, bold etc. .

To decrypt and get rid of the formatting, install the legacy client.

Thanks for the response, that worked. Bummer though, not looking forward to doing this for all my encrypted notes...

• Evernote Expert

Keep the Legacy installed and only reformat as you need access. Better still, if you need to encrypt material use an external encryption program (I've been using AxCrypt) or use the built in encryption in your word processor. The initial encryption takes flight now clicks but thereafter it works easily and is, in my view, more secure.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Better still, if you need to encrypt material use an external encryption program (I've been using AxCrypt) or use the built in encryption in your word processor. The initial encryption takes flight now clicks but thereafter it works easily and is, in my view, more secure.

And you are not locked in by EN encryption

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Anybody can use a feature as he wants to use it.

For me it is not obvious why I should use EN, and then encrypt larger parts of my text. Is it sooooo important and secret what I am writing ? Remember, it never worked on entire notes, notebooks or even attachments - plain text only. Now it is even plain text without any formatting. And it prevents EN from indexing it, which leads to search not working for encrypted content.

The probably worst use case is to use the EN encryption to store passwords. Any password manager will beat it.

For some leisurely hours: The search command encryption: will deliver a list of notes containing encrypted text. It does not use an argument. By adding a tag it is easy to separate notes already converted from those that still need to be reviewed.

• Like 1