How to set default notebook

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I have version 10. How do I set a notebook as my default notebook. I had one set some time ago, but now the web clipper sends the clips to another notebook. Is there an easy way to do this? When I open EN, there are no 3 dots next to any of the notebooks, whether I click on the one I want or some other one.  Seems like there would be an easy way to do this.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, ppearce43 said:

I have version 10. How do I set a notebook as my default notebook. I had one set some time ago, but now the web clipper sends the clips to another notebook. Is there an easy way to do this? When I open EN, there are no 3 dots next to any of the notebooks, whether I click on the one I want or some other one.  Seems like there would be an easy way to do this.

Thanks for your help.

You don't say which version you are using. On Windows the notebook screen looks like this. The three dots are over to the right. 

image.thumb.png.8418878d20ab7b98215fb3178cd68221.png

You can also right click a notebook to get a similar menu.

Remember webclipper will overide the default notebook so you should check that hasn't been accidentally changed

image.png.396d4747cd4c2deb2218ddce97701b4f.png

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

This may be a case that you have smart filing enabled. Check this on your account settings inside the webclipper...

Edited by agsteele
Added clarification of which settings needed to be checked
  • Like 1

I am using the Windows version. I see that there is a Browser version and a Desktop version. When I search for Evernote in my Windows Start site, it shows the following.  However, when I search for Evernote on the computer I cannot find it.

It shows 10.25.6-win-ddl-public (3073)
Editor: v135.2.17285
Service: v1.42.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

How do I know if I'm using the Browser version or the Desktop version? Very confusing to me.  Also, there are no 3 dots as the Help page and your reply (thank you for your desire to help) indicate.

When I right click on my 2021 Notebook, it shows this:

(no dots visible)

And I looked for "Smart Filing", I cannot find it.

This is a difficult program to navigate, at least to me. Designating a Notebook as the default notebook for all Web Clips should be easy. It's not.

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it. I don't mean to sound off-putting, but trying to find how to do this within the program is as frustrating as looking for Waldo.

iimage.thumb.png.9671fa4b079c534fd4ffc3153bae928b.png

• Level 5
  • Solution

If you launched a browser first before you launched EN inside of it, it is the web client.

If you launch EN directly from an icon without first launching a browser, it is the installed version.

Your screenshot shows the installed version - the web client has no keyboard shortcuts. 

The auto filing option FOR THE WEB CLIPPER(!) is in the settings of the web clipper, not in any of the clients. You can enable or disable auto filing there. If it is active, EN will try to guess into which notebook it will send the clipped content. This overrides the default notebook.

663E0CF4-6002-43AD-8952-8DEB5D4D7E83.thumb.jpeg.63c47b67deff144d45a2e7cb0098c3a9.jpeg

Edited by PinkElephant
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

You seem to be using the desktop application. The web browser version is accessed like any other website through your browser.

The smart filling seeing is part of the web clipper settings which are located in the clipper inside your browser.

• Like 1

Thank you, I think I've got it now. Appreciate the help. Frustration Level down from 95 to 0.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, PinkElephant said:

If you launched a browser first before you launched EN inside of it, it is the web client.

If you launch EN directly from an icon without first launching a browser, it is the installed version.

Your screenshot shows the installed version - the web client has no keyboard shortcuts. 

The auto filing option FOR THE WEB CLIPPER(!) is in the settings of the web clipper, not in any of the clients. You can enable or disable auto filing there. If it is active, EN will try to guess into which notebook it will send the clipped content. This overrides the default notebook.

663E0CF4-6002-43AD-8952-8DEB5D4D7E83.thumb.jpeg.63c47b67deff144d45a2e7cb0098c3a9.jpeg

• Like 2