[10.25.6] Note Duplication Productivity Killer

I can't reliably pinpoint when this happened but it's a very recent change of experience.  It feels like it's either connected to version 10.25.6 OR the outage that occurred 2 days ago.

I have a number of notes I use a templates for regular work projects.  The Templates are not part of the Evernote templating system because I have some attachments embedded.  The notes are 380KB in size, so, not huge.

Prior to this issue duplicating them in order to update and use for a project took maybe 5 to 10 seconds.  Now, on with macOS or PC with this version and definitely since Tuesday this week, the process is taking 1 minute and 33.85 seconds and whilst it's doing it processor use rockets to between 200 and 350%.  I get a message 'One moment while we attach files...'

Thats a minute and a half just to duplicate a note.  I am using here very powerful machines with oodles of RAM, super fast SSD's and a 1GB Internet; the bottleneck cannot be mine.

This is a real productivity killer :(

Does anyone else see this change in behaviour?

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'd imagine this is related to Evernote going for a web-based application rather than local processing.  Previously your note would have been assembled locally and synced to the server in the background.  Now the note is created on the server,  and because they're not small templates,  the communications time is added in up front.

Would it help to create a number of 'blank' new notes with your templates?  You only need one copy each (I imagine) which you could then duplicate to create a new record.  If duplication also takes extra time,  you could try creating however many copies you might need in the day at some time when you'll be away from the system.  Completing the details means editing an existing note.  Maybe.

-There'll probably be more suggestions along shortly...

• Level 5

Maybe your local database took a shot in the outage of the server.

You can try this:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 

Thanks for the suggestion; it hasn't managed to effect the performance I'm afraid.

Today, I rolled back to an earlier version, duplication is back to previous speed.

v10.24.3 5 seconds to duplicate note

21/11/2021 10:01:17
Level:info Origin:Boron
client:utils:PerformanceLogger DUPLICATE_NOTE took: 6135 ms 

v10.25.6 1.5 minutes or so to duplicate note

21/11/2021 10:08:17
Level:info Origin:Boron
client:utils:PerformanceLogger DUPLICATE_NOTE took: 69351 ms

I am raising a support case and sending logs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...