Search is just useless, I'm finding out

Something interesting happened today - thought it was me, but apparently not.

I am trying to use the v10.20.4 desktop application - it sure is different!  But I began a search with the text:  -tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid" which worked.  

I saved the search to the shortcuts group, and ran it, only to find ... nothing.  I realized Evernote had changed the search to (literally):  (tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid)" and I cannot see how to make Evernote use the search text I created.  The saved search sync'd with the iOS app, and that altered search text doesn't work there, either.  

I posted this earlier, but not here until I realized the application really is broken.

Thoughts?  (thank you)

10 hours ago, southernforge said:

Something interesting happened today - thought it was me, but apparently not.

I am trying to use the v10.20.4 desktop application - it sure is different!  But I began a search with the text:  -tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid" which worked.  

I saved the search to the shortcuts group, and ran it, only to find ... nothing.  I realized Evernote had changed the search to (literally):  (tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid)" and I cannot see how to make Evernote use the search text I created.  The saved search sync'd with the iOS app, and that altered search text doesn't work there, either.  

I posted this earlier, but not here until I realized the application really is broken.

Thoughts?  (thank you)

Very interesting. I cannot replicate the behaviour. I've used a search as close as I can to yours ie to search for all notes that do not contain two tags both with spaces in their names.

-tag:"current affairs" -tag:"Time management"

When I save it, clear the search by going to all notes and then rerun it I get exactly that text in the search bar again and exactly the same number of results. I have seen the behaviour of EN putting the search text in brackets before but I can't currently find a saved search where that has happened. As I said in the other thread there was a problem with the -tag syntax in saved searches in the past but it has been solved for me.

I wonder whether starting with a -tag is the problem. Starting with a * didn't work at all but:

intitle:* -tag:"current affairs" -tag:"Time management"

gave me the same results. Searches for all notes with something in the title and don't contain the two tags. I wonder if that might save more successfully for you. Something to try until it gets sorted.

I ran across something similar to this a few weeks ago on the web version. I raised a support ticket, and was asked to send a screen recording. What I'm finding is that  certain strings work as searches, work as saved searches, work as shortcuts but return error messages if run from the Home shortcuts widget. This seems to have something to do with EN's bracket placement. I haven't heard back for in a while, but I've managed to find workarounds by tweaking the search syntax and occassionally the tag names themselves. 

On 8/27/2021 at 9:54 PM, southernforge said:

Another thing to try is to proactively add brackets around your search string before saving. Even if EN decides to add another set of brackets may be it will stop it deleting the first negative sign.