Assign a tag as a sub-tag to another tag using enex file

There are numerous discussion topics on bulk importing tags using a dummy enex file.

All the tags are imported into Evernote with the edited enex file. But they are not arranged in the "tag-subtag" structure.

How do I make changes to the enex file so that the tags are arranged as the parent-children tree when I import that enex file?

e.g I have a tag "abc" and have another one "xyz" as the subtag of the tag "abc". How shall I edit the enex file to get the tag-subtag structure resultant in my Evernote tag list i.e. the xyz tag is enlisted as a subtag under the tag abc

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, girishkdesh said:

How do I make changes to the enex file so that the tags are arranged as the parent-children tree when I import that enex file?

Hi.  You don't. The tag / subtag relationship is defined in the tag system,  and only the individual owner of that account can add or edit tags and their relationship. 

It's not possible to impose a hierarchy by importing  a file.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, girishkdesh said:

How shall I edit the enex file to get the tag-subtag structure resultant in my Evernote tag list i.e. the xyz tag is enlisted as a subtag under the tag abc

As per @gazumped, the .enex file identifies tag objects, but no facility for structure

fwiw, I reflect hierarchy in my tag names   
For example !Budget, !Budget-Housing, !Budget-HousingRent, !Budget-HousingUtilities   
                       ???aaaaaaaa (FamilyMember), ??Doctor-aaaaaaa, ?aaaaaaaa (OtherPeople)

Just for information you can import a bulk list of tags into EN without using an enex file. Simply paste a comma separated list of tags into the tags field at the bottom of the note.

Doesn't solve the problem of there being no tag hierarchy for the new tags.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mike P said:

Just for information you can import a bulk list of tags into EN without using an enex file. Simply paste a comma separated list of tags into the tags field at the bottom of the note.

Doesn't solve the problem of there being no tag hierarchy for the new tags.

The comma separated list trick is cool, though it doesn't solve my problem. Thanks Mike!

• Like 1