MacBook Pro M1 Chip reporting excessive battery use by Evernote

I have recently bought a MacBook Pro M1and installed Evernote.

However the MacBook is reporting Evernote as making excessive use of the battery, as battery life is critical to me I have uninstalled Evernote and started to use One Note as my primary note taking app. Why is the program so power hungry? Is this likely to be reviewed soon? 

I have been an Evernote user for a very long time and currently have a Premium Account I find this irritating.

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you initially install Evernote it has a lot of setup work to do 'under the hood' that might take from hours to days,  which is why it might be busier than normal.  After that,  things should settle down.  Having said which,  Evernote will also take up a fair chunk of disk storage which might also be an issue.  You could reinstall during a period when your battery life is not critical and give the whole thing a few days to get to equilibrium,  then re-evaluate the usage - or you could use the almost equivalent online access by signing into Evernote.com.  That way your battery usage is limited and there's no long-term local disk impact.

• Level 5

That the Mac reports an app as battery hungry does not necessarily mean it will kill it right away. The M1s have very good battery life, so I would observe how much the app really uses. You can look it up in the Activity Monitor.

As posted by @gazumped it downloads during the initial use the database, and sets it up. After that it will settle down - did so on my Intel Mac.

Another factor is that AFAIK EN is still a Rosetta app, not optimized for ARM.  They need to update the underlying framework to make it run natively on an M1. I am sure they will do this in due course - you could ask support about it - and this will improve the situation further.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2021 at 4:57 PM, PinkElephant said:

That the Mac reports an app as battery hungry does not necessarily mean it will kill it right away. The M1s have very good battery life, so I would observe how much the app really uses. You can look it up in the Activity Monitor.

As posted by @gazumped it downloads during the initial use the database, and sets it up. After that it will settle down - did so on my Intel Mac.

Another factor is that AFAIK EN is still a Rosetta app, not optimized for ARM.  They need to update the underlying framework to make it run natively on an M1. I am sure they will do this in due course - you could ask support about it - and this will improve the situation further.

Sorry but I am not sure what half of this means! I will just use the web interface for now,  as I have discovered just how good MS One Note is only Mac so may well downgrade my EverNote account and use that instead from now on .I do know that Evernote downloads all your data when you first install it but unless it was very slow like two days slow I doubt very much that is the problem Battery life is critical for me so I can live without Evernote if I have to.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Battery life is reported in percentage of the actual usage, if I am not mistaken.

If you ran an app and it consumed 20%, and your total consumption was 10% in that time, it used 2% of your total battery capacity.

The reports for the M1 show very good battery life, I doubt EN will force it down. Since you don‘t report real figures, it is up to the reader to imagine what you mean.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Battery life is reported in percentage of the actual usage, if I am not mistaken.

If you ran an app and it consumed 20%, and your total consumption was 10% in that time, it used 2% of your total battery capacity.

The reports for the M1 show very good battery life, I doubt EN will force it down. Since you don‘t report real figures, it is up to the reader to imagine what you mean.

Since I do not report real figures! I recived a warning from the OS that EverNote was draining my battery heavily. what ever that means its clear the OSthought it was notworthy mate I suggest you Get over yourself mate its a app not a lifestyle and I did not come on hear for a lecture. One thing is for certain though EverNote not as good as One Note! and I have been a mug wasting money on a subscription for a good many years!

• Level 5

Is this why you get emotional ? Money spend ?

You have come to the forum with some questions - I still assume you were interested in answers. But when asked you hold back the relevant information.

And that is it, no input, no output.

You decided to show off your assumed tech knowledge! The internet is full of people like that talking down to the Newbees like that they think it confers status upon them! I came to report a problem NOT receive a lecture done with it and YOU now TTFN.