Speed

Gfwtgfwr

Idea

I still use "Evernote Legacy" on my main working computer - but I have the new Evernote on my iOS devices..

I am a low-grade user... but what I notice is the great difference in speed between the two programs.  Maybe the iOS app was always this way, because the database does not 'reside' on the computing unit - but for searches, or anything else, there is a very notable lag time between key stroke and response on the iOS platforms.

Whereas the Evernote Legacy on my laptop is zip-zip fast.

That 'lag' time drives me nuts....

Is this due to the difference in device type, or difference in the two programs ? (New vs. Old)

• Like 1

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Gfwtgfwr said:

I still use "Evernote Legacy" on my main working computer - but I have the new Evernote on my iOS devices..

I am a low-grade user... but what I notice is the great difference in speed between the two programs.  Maybe the iOS app was always this way, because the database does not 'reside' on the computing unit - but for searches, or anything else, there is a very notable lag time between key stroke and response on the iOS platforms.

Whereas the Evernote Legacy on my laptop is zip-zip fast.

That 'lag' time drives me nuts....

Is this due to the difference in device type, or difference in the two programs ? (New vs. Old)

Probably some of both.  On the new IOS version speed is impacted by the age of the IOS device, newer = faster  and older = slower.  I have a one year old iPhone and a three year old iPad.  The iPad is orders of magnitude slower than the iPhone.  The iPhone performance is okay other than a longer than it seems it should be sync lag when firing up the app.

Relative to the desktop the new version is MUCH slower for my use case.  From instantaneous with 6.25.1 to drum my fingers with V10.  It is painful. Same hardware so it is all the new version platform and coding.  Sorry to say.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We run EN V10 on iOS devices ranging from an iPad Air 2 vintage 2014 ˋtil an iPhone 11 vintage 2019. All are updated to iOS 14.7 and EN iOS 10.13.2.

The Air has approximately 1/8th of the transistor count of the 11. No wonder it is slower.

All devices are working - on the older ones you need a bit of patience, but it is still acceptable.

We are connected to 5GHz WiFi and a Gigabit external internet connection - I think this helps, because EN v10 enjoys to „call home“.

• Like 1