I can't believe I've come here to ask this, but how the heck do I open a new Evernote window if there's none open? (Not create a new note, or open a note in a new window.) E.g., if I close the main window (i.e., click the red X but leave EN running), how do I now get a new window? I'm running 10.17.8.

In previous versions, it was just Opt+Cmd+N. Now I don't see a New Window option in any of the drop-down menus or the keyboard shortcut customizer. Right now my solution is to quit Evernote and re-launch, but that's ridiculous.

Help!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, clem_fandango said:

if I close the main window (i.e., click the red X but leave EN running), how do I now get a new window? I'm running 10.17.8.

I click on the Evernote icon in the dock (bottom/sidej660427606_ScreenShot2021-07-22at12_13_54.png.fd6acbcb584c78e9c89a4b10fe17baaa.png

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Don't be embarrassed. Not intuitive to me, either. I can't think of another application on a Mac that behaves that way (where clicking the dock icon opens a new window). What adds to the confusion is when the most recent window you had up was expanded to hide the sidebar ... it seems that you're just opening a note and it's easy to forget that you actually have a proper Evernote "window" (not just a note) open.

• Level 5

EN has only one main window. You can open multiple notes in their own window, but not have the app twice. The behaviour is consistent with the Macs general way of working - I can't see a problem that when the main window is closed (hidden), the click on the app icon will bring it back. The icon is the place where you can see all open windows of an app listed with a right click. If you see none, no one is open, and a click will open it.

Just a prominent example: The Mac's own Finder will usually run without a Finder window open. One click on the finder icon, and it opens a window.