Tasks is great, but...

TFD

Idea

I love Tasks and for me it's perfect to insert tasks in existing (project) notes and vice versa. What I really miss is recurrence. Some tasks are on a daily, weekly, monthly or even on an annual basis. That would help a lot.
Not urgent, but the option to add a separate 'comment field' to a task would also be a big plus. If you for instance have to call someone with 5 questions, it would help to put those in a separate comment instead of creating this 4-5 line task. 

But again, great great job this feature. I have decided to delete a specific task app I was using so far.

5 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

I have been plugging away using the Tasks Early Access to see if it could be a replacement for my previous approach using ToDoist.

I suppose that the answer is yes, sort of.  The biggest issues are that I could send tasks to Todoist from an outside program (eg I can tell a smart speaker to add a todo to my list and it appears inside Todoist) but also and more importantly I can just type and the task is set up.  No clicking around with a mouse etc.

So to set a todo I would type

Buy milk from supermarket 9am Wednesday p1 #project_name

That would appear as a task labeled 'Buy milk from supermarket' dated for 9am on the next Wednesday with a priority 1 flag set and located in a particular project

With Evernote tasks I type the task name but the date, flag and selection of the Notebook all have to be done messing around with a mouse, clicking multiple times - so much more fiddly.

I think that this ability could be a real game changer for Tasks in Evernote.

• Level 5

The milky example probably is not the best - to me it looks more like a checklist entry on a groceries note (maybe with a task assigned).

Personally I moved away from this many dates in my tasks when I adopted GTD. Most of my tasks work without a date assigned - I like it more this way, than being buried under a mountain of „overdues“.

For many things I don’t want to remember until I am able to do them it is sufficient to put them into phone / computer / at home / at work and similar. For this the „tasks in notes“ (categories) approach is great.

For tasks with dates I often use recurring reminders, both to a set date and „X time units after the last confirmation“. This would be useful for me.

• Evernote Expert
20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The milky example probably is not the best - to me it looks more like a checklist entry on a groceries note (maybe with a task assigned).

Yes, I was trying to give a simple example of adding a task entirely by typing what I needed to include with dates, flags, reminders etc. without having to take my hands off the keyboard.  The point I was trying to make was the ability to enter data quickly and efficiently. ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Out of such an experience apps like „Remember the milk“ were probably created. We use another app especially for our groceries, because they are tuned for shopping efficiency.

When using tasks I think the better trick is to avoid these nitty-bitty details whenever possible. This is why I like the GTD approach.