Thoughts on how to fix inability to open files that I saved in Evernote?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I have been using evernote for almost 10 years and have fought through many growing pains with the software over the years, but a few days ago my laptop had to be reimaged by our IT department and I reinstalled evernote.  Everything is there, kind of....

If I try to open spreadsheets or PDFs using the windows app I get error messages like attached, but if I log in and open via web or on my iphone these files open up with zero issues.

this applies to items that I have had saved for years as well as items that I added today...

Any thoughts on how to address?

Excel_2021-06-04_16-37-24.png

Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017_2021-06-04_16-47-08.png

• Level 5*

I don't know what happened to your computer but the master version of your data is stored in the cloud   
You can delete the local folder, and the data will be re-downloaded

Thank you for this information and taking the time to reply.

For whatever reason my laptop is not saving files to the area in which it is looking for them...  when opening the files locally, it tries to open in the AppData\Roaming\Evernote subdirectory, but on the drive I was able to find the actual data in AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalCache\Roaming\Evernote. 

Any thoughts on how I could redirect the collection to align with where the data is?

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

@John Burroughs The new version of Evernote is not configurable in terms of the location to store your data.  The good news is that we know your data is intact since you can view it via the web.

My recommendation would be to thoroughly uninstall Evernote then be sure to delete all left over data directories.

AppData\Roaming\Evernote is the directory which Evernote v10 uses. Still delete it.

I'm not sure where AppData\Local\Packages\Evernote.Evernote_q4d96b2w5wcc2\LocalCache\Roaming\Evernote has come from. Even so, delete it or if you prefer copy it to another location for safekeeping. It isn't serving a useful purpose and may confuse the reinstallation.

Once all vestiges of Evernote have been removed reinstall Evernote from the installation program. Once you log in you should find all your data is restored from the cloud and properly organised. The resync process can take a few minutes to process so give it plenty of time to grab everything from the Cloud before attempting to open a document.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1