Search issue with Windows 10.14

• Level 5*

I saw Ctrl+Q was making a comeback in some form so I thought I would take a look on a backup machine.  Plus I hadn't taken a look at V10 in a while as I still use 6.25.1 as V10 isn't there for me use case.  I found a search issue right out of the gate before I even took a look at Ctrl+Q. 

I tested a shortcut first.  I have a tag, !LM, which initially I used for follow up for calls wherein I left a message.  It is up front on my shortcuts bar.  During the pandemic I started using it to track on line purchases.  So a single click on !LM in the shortcuts bar displays all left message calls and not received orders.

The first thing I did when 10.14 came up was to click on that shortcut.  The result was no notes though I knew there should be one.

image.thumb.png.9e2704f8b33d37f24eff1a6a72ee8eb9.png

So I cleared and entered tag:!lm in the search bar and the result was three notes, one of which was supposed to be there, two not so much.

image.thumb.png.dbfbe7d4eb1271cfd859f4a2915136a1.png

Things look fine in 6.25.1.

ScreenClip.png.828d03034e7f112216f772a1cf0b1a9a.png

Annnnnyway, did not see much sense in checking out the new Ctrl+Q after this bit of non performance.  😟  So I uninstalled and put 6.25.1 back on my backup.  I can't use something if I can't rely on the search results.  This exercise was hours after any updates on my main 6.25.1 system.  It probably took 15 minutes for V10 to show notes in any case.

Anyone else have any similar problems with search results.

• Evernote Expert
13 minutes ago, CalS said:

Anyone else have any similar problems with search results.

I'm not experiencing anything as you describe.  I know that on first installation you do need the sync of notes to complete and, if you have a large number of notes, this can take sometime.  Until the initial sync is complete searches don't work.

With note count display tuned on I can see the number of notes connected to each tag. I click on a tag with, say, 12 notes and I get 12 notes listed. I put that tag in my shortcuts and it shows with the number 12 alongside. Clicking on the shortcut also lists the relevant 12 notes.  So I'd say that you probably need to wait longer for the sync to complete.

As for Ctrl+Q, I never used it before and don't think it will be a tool that will be useful for me in the future. It does, though, appear to do what is expected.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I'm not experiencing anything as you describe.  I know that on first installation you do need the sync of notes to complete and, if you have a large number of notes, this can take sometime.  Until the initial sync is complete searches don't work.

With note count display tuned on I can see the number of notes connected to each tag. I click on a tag with, say, 12 notes and I get 12 notes listed. I put that tag in my shortcuts and it shows with the number 12 alongside. Clicking on the shortcut also lists the relevant 12 notes.  So I'd say that you probably need to wait longer for the sync to complete.

As for Ctrl+Q, I never used it before and don't think it will be a tool that will be useful for me in the future. It does, though, appear to do what is expected.

Thanks for the quick response.  For me not sure of the need for sync complete need for a search which is performed on the server.  In any case the note count on V10 was representative and the typed search returned the note right after the shortcut search did not.  Back to the shortcut search and the note did not return.  So murky on a good day for me.

Re Ctrl+Q I just saw a video that represents its features.  It looks good though it is a subset of Ctrl+Q in legacy, best I can tell from the video.  Ctrl+Q became a go to search starter for me when I realized it will display recent searches, saved searches, tags, and notebooks on its way to a text search.  Each letter you type changes the display of options.  Particularly helpful for accessing recent searches.  I thought if deployed in new like in old.1 I might be able to bypass the inane number of clicks to find something in V10.  Will try again in a month or so.

Quick "demo" below of how it works in old EN.  A tribute to an old friend and its power if nothing else before the sunset.  To your point though, not for everyone.

ScreenClip.png.0400ca108b1dda36f50c3c5eeaa52926.png

ScreenClip.png.df095c16d0a0ecfa1d0e32838b6b6d75.png

ScreenClip.png.aca44522d21e3401e517c3789afcb4b2.png

ScreenClip.png.146311bcb762efd8efaac54c1fb7dd39.png

ScreenClip.png.21caddac826383d726cdeb28b67cde7c.png