Show exact location of a searched word in a pdf

Annakin

Idea

I have a lot of literature in evernote for research and studies. With older versions of evernote I was able to search within all my sources for a specific term or phrase and it showed me not only the pdfs with that word or phrase, it also showed me without opening the pdf in an extra window the exact location with a mark on the scrollbar. Like this I was able to find the right thing really fast.

Now evernote just tells me in which pdfs I can find the word or phrase, but I have to open every pdf and search within the pdf again to find the exact location. this is really a dealbreaker for someone who uses evernote for research and used evernote ESPECIALLY for this feature. Desperately need back that great feature which is (thank good) still available in evernote legacy.

grafik.png.3660f1a1ac852ee38731d3572992720b.png

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

7 hours ago, Annakin said:

Now evernote just tells me in which pdfs I can find the word or phrase, but I have to open every pdf and search within the pdf again to find the exact location.

I don't know whether this would help. It works if the pdf is in single page view.

• Click on the title of the note or within the note (but not the actual pdf)
  • Hit ctrl-F to bring up the search within a note function. It should be prepopulated with the search term.
  • You can then use the arrow keys on the search toolbar to cycle through the locations, each one of which is highlighted

image.png.d429cdddeab304488aee5560cb6343fa.png

Thanks a lot! I didn't know about that functionality. It's not as flawless as it was before but better than nothing! Still hoping that the old functionality will come back 🙂

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 1:30 AM, Mike P said:

I don't know whether this would help. It works if the pdf is in single page view.

• Click on the title of the note or within the note (but not the actual pdf)
  • Hit ctrl-F to bring up the search within a note function. It should be prepopulated with the search term.
  • You can then use the arrow keys on the search toolbar to cycle through the locations, each one of which is highlighted

image.png.d429cdddeab304488aee5560cb6343fa.png

Evernote 10.15.6

This is not working on macos now. :(

I remember it used to work on EN Legacy pretty great. This is single feature that I need as a premium subscriber. Why is EN not maintaining their core features?

• Level 5

Works on the Mac as well, just a bit hidden. Tested on EN Mac 10.16:

When you use search, it will find the string inside of attachments as well. In attachments it is marked, and you can go through the pages as well. If it is in single page, click on the arrows

Once you change the view (Single page - multi page etc.), the marker disappears.

When you now go to the Note menu, Search & Replace, you can enter the string (or any other) again. It will search again, offers a counter and highlights the word. By clicking on the little arrows in the search box bottom right you can move from result to result.

• Like 1