Look Up Functionality Still MIA in v.10.13.4

I just installed the latest version of EN, 10.13.4, and sadly, the look up functionality still hasn't been restored. Seriously? There isn't a single app anywhere that doesn't provide look up functionality as a contextual menu option. As a writer, I rely on this. Now I have to keep Thesaurus.com open at all times when working on my desktop version of EN. I prefer writing big stuff on my MacBook Pro, and now EN has relegated itself obsolete for my needs. How is it even possible to have removed this feature when it's a standard presence across everything from email to browser to text editor. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? And HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? 🤯😡

• Like 1
  • Amystoneus changed the title to Look Up Functionality Still MIA in v.10.13.4
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Try going back to the Legacy app to regain lost functionality.  I actually don't remember Evernote ever providing a Thesaurus-level look-up option,  but I use Windows and Android which might be different in that I get spelling help only.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Level 5

There was the Context feature bringing up related notes. It used an undeclared algorithm for „similarity“. From my experience it may have been useful to avoid searching in some cases.

It only existed on desktop, and could be turned off. I had it turned off to avoid distractions. While on legacy it ran locally, with v10 it would permanently draw resources on the servers.

If one goes to the trouble to read the main release notes for the v10 release, he will find that context has been permanently removed from the new clients.

So it is legacy or adapting to new realities.