Importing multiple RTF files in Mac V10+

James Longley

Idea

I've searched high and low but can't find any answers on whether it's possible to import multiple rich text files into Evernote (as fully-populated text notes, not as attachments) in Mac desktop V10+

Is there a way to do it? Share to and Open with just make multiple notes with individual attachments. 

12 replies to this idea

17 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

I've searched high and low but can't find any answers on whether it's possible to import multiple rich text files into Evernote (as fully-populated text notes, not as attachments) in Mac desktop V10+

I think @DTLow's suggestion is the only way of doing it. I have ocassionally had some bad experience of formatting being lost but you would have to see if it works for you.

I assume you need rtf rather than just a simple text file. If you attach a text file to a note you get an inline view like html from the webclipper. You can obviously select multiple text files and then copy and paste them into a note. Alternatively I suppose you could convert to pdf.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Copy/Paste contents
Evernote's native format is enml (basically html)

@DTLow My intention is to import well over a hundred rtf files into EN so that, unfortunately, would be a colossal pain in the ass. Is there any other format that can be imported into EN such that the text of the files become the text of the note? If so maybe there's a Cloudconvert workaround.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

Is there any other format that can be imported into EN such that the text of the files become the text of the note?

HTML converts when imported on my Mac edit; Legacy version
A quick google search identified this conversion tool https://www.rtf-to-xml.com/rtf-to-html.html   
I could probably jury rig a conversion tool using Applescript

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

HTML converts when imported on my Mac

html converts in windows legacy but becomes an attachment in V10. Text files used to get incorporated into the note but now appear as inline attachments

image.png.0a5db25de5bc9d9ca9bc40779d777745.png

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

HTML converts when imported    
A quick google search identified this conversion tool https://www.rtf-to-xml.com/rtf-to-html.html

That's great, thanks @DTLow, I'll give that a go. On a different note (pun definitely not intended), I asked a different (but related) question elsewhere about number of notes in your account resulting in (or not resulting in) a slow down in the system. Do you have 20k+ (or know of others who have) notes in your account & if so, have you noticed any decrease in performance? 

Context: I've been building my zettelkasten in Scrivener but have decided to pull everything into one tool (hence trying to pull rtf notes in). The zettelkasten method will result in plenty of small notes so I can imagine getting to 50k+ in the future (I'm at 13k at the moment). 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, James | Headquarters said:

Do you have 20k+ (or know of others who have) notes in your account & if so, have you noticed any decrease in performance? 

I'm using Evernote Legacy and have no problem with 20k+ notes   
I would expect less impact with Version 10 since it's server based

• Level 5

Currently there is an inofficial limit of 10.000 notes for the v10 web client. Probably the desktop clients will allow for more, depending on the computer, memory and internet connection available. If it already is prepared to digest 50.000 or more, I can’t say. I am still way below this level, so no thrill for me. V10 is doing good, Legacy as well.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Currently there is an inofficial limit of 10.000 notes for the v10 web client. Probably the desktop clients will allow for more, depending on the computer, memory and internet connection available. If it already is prepared to digest 50.000 or more, I can’t say. I am still way below this level, so no thrill for me. V10 is doing good, Legacy as well.

Limit of 10k on V10? I'm at 13.5k on V10 across Mac, web and Android and there's been no issues. I did have to go and select to activate it on web taking into consideration that I had more than 10k but no noticeable difference at this point.

20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm using Evernote Legacy and have no problem with 20k+ notes   
I would expect less impact with Version 10 since it's server based

Server-based means it's less heavy on your system I assume? Is the fact that it's server-based the reason that all notes need to sync up to the web version before changes reflect on desktop and Android? 

• Level 5

It always was on the server where the master copy of an EN account was kept. Just the legacy clients had a local database, on which all function were performed. They were then synced to the web copy.

All mobile clients (old & new) are drawing their information from the web server. With v10 the desktop clients do so as well, even if they hold a local copy for offline use.

So all syncing is client to server, and from there to all other clients. EN does never sync one client directly with another. Plus some core functions are only performed on the server, like the OCR processing or keeping the note history.

• Level 5

The 10k limit on the web client was never an official one. It was just that EN did not migrate accounts with more than 10k notes to the new web client when v10 was released. Maybe they just wanted to put a toe into the water, maybe they just wanted to keep the server workload small when all accounts switched to v10, or whatever.

A hard and communicated limit is 100k of. Let’s per account (except for business accounts). Given that EN does not charge for keeping notes on the server, I think a limit is fair enough.