Please have cursor placement options for editing notes

Mark923

Idea

I keep a lot of long notes, journals, etc. and when I open one of these notes to continue writing, it would be great to have the cursor automatically start at the END of the note so I can continue where I left off, instead of having to scroll all the way to the bottom to start typing. Functionally, this would be a much more efficient USER EXPERIENCE. thank you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Most more recent apps use a granular approach. Each document is build from many small building blocks. Syncing means to sync only the small element that was changed, not a whole note or document. 

Compared to this an EN note is like a small classical website, holding content embedded in some HTML code. And the whole "website" syncs.

It is IMHO quite obvious that it is no simple thing to move from one approach to another. The apps that use the granular approach were either created based on that design, or needed a long transition to get there.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, Mark923 said:

I keep a lot of long notes, journals, etc. and when I open one of these notes to continue writing, it would be great to have the cursor automatically start at the END of the note so I can continue where I left off, instead of having to scroll all the way to the bottom to start typing. Functionally, this would be a much more efficient USER EXPERIENCE. thank you!

Also, a preference/choice to have items organized from oldest to newest, and newest to oldest. If I'm writing in a journal, or taking notes on a subject over time, I would like to have my newest entries be at the top and all older entries in order by date, following after.

• Like 2

Totally agreed, frustrates me each time I continue working on a previous longer note. I waste so much time scrolling to the end. This sounds so basic, I wonder why such things are still not implemented.

• Level 5

In general keep notes short, helps as well with syncing.

Are you running v10.29 already ? At least for iOS there were improvements mentioned in the release notes of that version to better retain the last cursor position.

I checked if I have the latest version, and I have 10.29 (1121520). I tried with a note that spans three screens on my phone. I added a few words to the end. Save, go out to the Evernote home screen. Click on the note, Click Edit, and the cursor is back in the first line of the note. If I want to add to the end, I need to scroll down, and tap to place the cursor there.

This is such a basic feature for a note taking app, not a luxory or bonus feature.

In fact, there are a lot of new shiny features that seriously I don't care about at all, but so many little annoyances, that I do care about.

As for the length, I understand your suggestion, and is a good one. But I want my notes to be the length I want them to be, and not what the technical limitations are of the app. Again, in a Note taking app, this is something as a basic feature, I want long notes, as long as I want them. That's the main reason I pay for the app, and don't use simple Word files on OneDrive.

• Level 5

The remark about long notes is plain pragmatic: As long as EN treats a note (the whole note) as the entity it will sync, the longer it grows the more likely get syncing conflicts. In an ideal world, this remark would not be necessary, but we don’t live in such a world.

The EN CEO has announced in his New Years blog post that syncing will get an overhaul this year. Hopefully they will solve several problems - beside note length and duplication there is the problem that only one user can edit a note at any time. This is a problem when a note is shared among a group of people. The first user will block it for the others - and if he forgets to leave, it stays locked.

About the cursor position: For the iOS mobile client it has improved with 10.29. Maybe the feature didn’t make it into the Android release.

Thanks for the reflections. I hope the sync issues get resolved at EN, too. The main reason I keep using EN is because it syncs in the cloud. So to say, a key value proposition is syncing notes, so for me as a user, it Must work flawlessly, 100%, all the time.

Otherwise, I would have moved to Obsidian completely, it can handle big notes fast and reliable, to my experience. But it has no web access.

Is this such a complicated technological issue, to sync such types of files?

I had sync issues with OneNote, it used to have sync issues, but in the past years it has disappeared.

For the multiple user edits, I/we abandoned using it, we stick to Google docs, M365 Word, or Notion. They seem to handle it well. Google docs even with hundred or more users.

I keep EN purely as personal note taking.