Deleted (duplicate) device; local notes gone

SOLUTION: Evernote no longer supports local notebooks. If anyone is missing their local notebooks, in new Evernote app, go to Tools: check for local notebooks. From there, local notebooks can be downloaded, and then imported into the new app (no longer local). Also, legacy Evernote app can be downloaded and used with local notebooks. More info in thread below.

I'm on a Macbook, MacOS 11.2.2. I was prompted to update Evernote, which I did, but then got a notice saying I have too many devices for basic version. I only use Evernote on my Android phone and Macbook, but my Macbook was listed twice, so I deleted one instance of it. (I don't know how this happened; I've been using same Macbook for more than a year, haven't made any changes.)

Now I'm missing local notes. I do have a Time Machine backup of my Macbook. Suggestions appreciated on how to restore local notes.

Edited by jimtron
posted solution to issue
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

The old and the new client is counted as a device each, so does the web client. If you use them all, you have 3 „devices“ while using the same physical machine. So you need to unsync the old one officially to get the new one, if you have the mobile sync as well. 

You will understand in a moment why you maybe better unsync your mobile device instead.

There are no local notebooks with the new client. I never used local notebooks, but you need to think about what to do with them. You can convert them into synced notebooks, or export them, or stick with EN legacy for the next time. Legacy can be downloaded here. It is identical to the last pre-v10-Client 7.14, but it is set to never update.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

No idea how to get to your local notebooks, probably a restore from TM will do. But with legacy installed, you will be able to open them, and do what you decide. Legacy will be around for a while, so you can take your time. But it will be discontinued one day, so better prepare for whatever solution you are going to take.

Thanks PinkElephant! I was able to access my local notebooks with the legacy app. I didn't realize that local notebooks were no longer supported; that must have been the issue, probably not deleting the duplicate device.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, jimtron said:

Suggestions appreciated on how to restore local notes.

The version 10 upgrade did not delete your legacy database
Running the legacy version should display your  local notebooks

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The version 10 upgrade did not delete your legacy database
Running the legacy version should display your  local notebooks

Thanks for the reply. That's correct, as PinkElephant also pointed out.

I'm on my Mac and opened the app & followed instructions for the new version.  Upon opening, I did get a flag that I had a folder containing 49 local notes that are no longer supported.  I clicked on the link to get the EXE file but nothing happened.  The downloaded file was not working.  I again tried to download and the only file I have is .dmg in my Evenote.  Evernote-10.8.5-mac-ddl-ga-2367.  That said, the pop up window went away and I am trying to find the Tools option on the new app but don't see it on the sidebar or anywhere else for that matter.    Now the support chat is not working so I hope I can relocate my files with some help here. 

• Level 5

You can issue a support ticket.

AFAIK the data base from your prior installation is still there. So if you install legacy, you should be able to access it and export your local notebooks. Either make synced notebooks out of them, or export them somewhere else. You can also stick with legacy - just be aware that one day legacy will stop working.

On a Mac, you may give a try to Apple notes. It has an option to store notes locally on device, not in iCloud. It can import EN export files (but sorry, no tags), it is free, and you already have it on your Mac.