Is it possible for web clipper to save tooltips as well?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Hello, a new user here!

I tried to use web clipper to save a webpage, but it seems that it doesn't save "tooltips" (or what are those called) even when I chose "Whole page" in web clipper. Here's an example wikipedia page with one tooltip (Gaelic football) open:

image.png.7dde3f898deaa16c655c9a41c509183b.png

In Evernote, if I hover mouse over that link, all I see is "Gaelic football" in tooltip. I would like to see the same picture as in original webpage, so is this possible with Evernote? Or, if it's not, is there any other software like Evernote that can save those tooltips as well?

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  Evernote will not save the tool tips.  You'd have to find some software that can save the dozen or so additional tips that are accessed in the text - and I'm not sure how that software could distinguish the tool tips from the page links listed under 'contents' - you'd have to clip it all and have a very large file that takes a significant chunk out of your upload allowance.  The easiest way to access all of this is to clip a bookmark and go to the original page.

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Evernote will not save the tool tips.  You'd have to find some software that can save the dozen or so additional tips that are accessed in the text - and I'm not sure how that software could distinguish the tool tips from the page links listed under 'contents' - you'd have to clip it all and have a very large file that takes a significant chunk out of your upload allowance.  The easiest way to access all of this is to clip a bookmark and go to the original page.

Thanks for answer, that's what I feared. In my case I would  save the wikipedia page that lists several different coordinates in a game, and then the tooltip opens up a map that shows where those coordinates are in that map. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Paladine said:

then the tooltip opens up a map that shows where those coordinates are in that map. 

If it's only one tooltip, then a screen shot of the open tip window could be saved in the same note as the clipped main page...

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

If it's only one tooltip, then a screen shot of the open tip window could be saved in the same note as the clipped main page...

That could work yes, except the webpage highlights the coordinate on map, based on which coordinate your mouse is... Like in this page (walkthrough & notes section): https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:Lost_Lore_of_the_Great_Alliance 

I guess that's not something that Evernote or any other software like it can do though.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  You could maybe save the web page to your own PC - ironically,  as... another web page.  See http://www.httrack.com/ for more on that.  But given that the actual web page might be updated with more,  or corrected information,  it's probably better just to look at that when you need it!

Good luck - if you manage to find something that suits your purpose,  please come back and tell us about it!

Thanks for the tip about that software. I was thinking of different Evernote use cases for me, and one of them was combining several wikipedia "map pages" like that for one big note so I wouldn't have to keep several tabs open on my browser, but I guess as the functionality of the web page breaks in the process, Evernote is not meant for that kind of thing. I can see it being handy in many other cases though :) Thanks for help @gazumped!

• Like 1

In the wikipedia pages these pop-up texts require javascript to be executed and there's no way that Evernote will allow notes to execute Javascript -- the safety implications would be horrendous. In fact Evernote doesn't even save the javascript file, and that's a very good thing.

1 minute ago, ehrt74 said:

In the wikipedia pages these pop-up texts require javascript to be executed and there's no way that Evernote will allow notes to execute Javascript -- the safety implications would be horrendous. In fact Evernote doesn't even save the javascript file, and that's a very good thing.

Yeah, now that you said it, it makes perfect sense why that won't work. That could lead into safety problems... However, would be nice if I could save the map locally and then the note page in Evernote would point into that map file (and location on that map) when I hover over different map coordinate links :)